DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

41 - 60 of 304 Posts

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Hey, I REALLY like that tool box! I hope by Art's meet I've got mine put back in good shape and ready for a road trip.

so, I wanna know - why did THIS YouTube video get associated with yours a related video?!??!?!

Nice test for the oil pump - what was your motor device?

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That is very clean for a 23 year old engine. Any play in the connecting rods? is that ha magnet in the oil pan? I wonder why that is there.
I'll give the rods a rattle tomorrow, thanks for reminding me. I didn't play oin the pan too much, I did notice that and gave it a poke. was just sudgey.

pan almost looks like it had water in it once

I'll give it a good cleaning tomorrow and see what it look like. Oil didn't have any signs of water in it. This motor was allegedly rebuilt some time in the past, no records or timing, so I'm assuming that it didn't happen. Still, it is pretty damn clean!

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey, I REALLY like that tool box! I hope by Art's meet I've got mine put back in good shape and ready for a road trip.

so, I wanna know - why did THIS YouTube video get associated with yours a related video?!??!?!

Nice test for the oil pump - what was your motor device?
Tool chest is the standard crastsman 4 drawer socket set. Quite nce actually... as for the video, LOL... I dunno... some of those girls I wouldn't mind lubing up and taking for spin!

To spin the oil pump: I duct taped a rectangle metal bracket to a spade bit, put it in the cordless drill and gave her hell. Good for a couple hundred RPM anyway. As you could see, it put about 3 quarts of oil through in a few seconds, so I would think it's in good shape!

·
15,449 Posts
The girls are cute, obviously SOMETHING was going on that the girl in white didn't want assocated with...

Anyway, yea, Craftsman first came out with the 180 piece in 3 drawers. A friend of mine in HS helped me do my first ever motor swap - a 2.5 in a 2m4 Fiero... as a thank you gift, my dad bought him that set. A few years later, I went and bought my set - I think mine is 192. Sears/Craftsman revised the tool chest and drawer arrangement about every 12-14 months, so no two kits are the same - but mine has seen LOTS of use. The only thing that has gone wrong with mine is that the handle has worn out on the top - the handle part pops out of the top shell of the case as I carry it. Gonna have to fix that one of these days, maybe.

Anyway, enough hijacking... Are you doing the motor work while it is in the body? Just taking it apart to investigate, or did it have a noise?

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Anyway, enough hijacking... Are you doing the motor work while it is in the body? Just taking it apart to investigate, or did it have a noise?
Previous owner said that the oil pressure was low which was why they stopped driving it. Suspected the oil pump but didn't want to deal anymore (he was working on a 69 duster) I turned it over at home and it had a pretty healthy knock. Didn't let it run very long as I wasn't sure how much oil was in it. So I figured I'd check out the bottom end, oil pump and pick up just to look for any obvious problems. Only takes 5 minutes to drop the pan on this thing.

Didn't find a smoking gun so I guess I'm hoping the filter was clogged, or that the grime on the pick up was restricting the flow enough to cause the problem. Heck, I could have been lied to and it has a legitimate knock and needs a rebuild.

I'll give it another hard look tomorrow, put it back together and see what happens.

·
15,449 Posts
Yikes.. yea, worth a chance to just pop it back together nice and clean, and try a new filter and the like - but I'd bet if it had much of a knock, it's got bigger issues. Maybe you can get away for a little while with a bearing change - that would boost oil pressure, as well as give a renewed wear surface.

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yikes.. yea, worth a chance to just pop it back together nice and clean, and try a new filter and the like - but I'd bet if it had much of a knock, it's got bigger issues. Maybe you can get away for a little while with a bearing change - that would boost oil pressure, as well as give a renewed wear surface.
If it's got a legit issue I'm not fooling around, it will come out and get rebuilt over the winter.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Spun bearing....time to yank her out of there and rip it down.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
crank kit and have the rod resized, drive it like you stole it

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
you are having too much fun up there in Michigan... Do I need to bring you a clean rust free southern car?

41 - 60 of 304 Posts