DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Google app freezing images - please ignore that. The belt squeal happens when compressor cycles on. BTW - I was having an unrelated issue with leaking noisy power steering.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know what my AC belt part number is - and is it hard to change it when parked on the street?:) I can spin the AC pully and other ones once I get the belt loose or off and see what is what....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If the belt is no good, you can cut if from underneath pretty easy BUT you have to remove the power steering/alternator belt in order to install a new AC belt.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!! I started to think this forum was dead. Are these belts easy to change? Any good videos oit there?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping to losen the AC belt so I can check the pulley myself. Are either of these belts easy to loosen? I have a Jeep and it is simple as pie.

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
It's been a while, but I changed the belts a couple of times in the driveway. Adjustment locking bolt or nut, then a long jackscrew to loosen and tighten the tension. Space is a little tight to get your hands in, but do-able without scraping your skin up if you take your time.

I know the alternator belt tensioner jack screw points down - you reach it with a socket extension from underneath the car. I forget which direction the A.C. belt tensioner jack screw points in - maybe also downward and access same way with an extension - or may point in another direction, but you'll figure it out.

Correct tension is for about 1/4 to 3/8" deflection with moderate thumb pressure in center span of belt - a little tighter than most people think maybe it should be, but it's needed, and the bearings hold up fine with it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As always you are very helpful. The great cab forward design makes these things much harder than vehicles like my jeep - but really makes the cab & trunk huge! Thanks so much!

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts
Belt Squeal like a Pig! Watch out for Dueling Banjos!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Power Steering went - started a new thread - please see that thread. Thanks!🐷🐽🔧

1 - 10 of 10 Posts