DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 Concorde 3.2, 164k miles

My belt seems fine and is mostly quiet but it’s irritating when I turn the steering wheel and hit the stop and then the belt squeaks until I let off the wheel. Does this mean the tension is slightly too loose on the belt or? Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
You could tighten the belt OR stop holding the steering wheel against the stop.

·
Registered
587 Posts
no, the tension is just right to keep you from burning out your pump by holding t on the lock.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,105 Posts
Squealer!

·
Premium Member
17,384 Posts
When you turn it against the stops, an over-pressure relief valve opens to bypass flow going to the rack. If that valve wasn't there, pressure would go thru the roof and would blow a line or a seal (and it wouldn't be ice cream). The relief pressure of the valve is much higher than line pressure when the steering is operating normally (not against the stops). So a belt that's just tight enough to not slip in normal operation will slip when turning against the stops and opening the bypass valve.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks. I wasn’t holding it to the stop intentionally, was just trying to determine if it was something I needed to check out. Appreciate the explanation

·
Registered
587 Posts
as long as i's not slipping or sqealing otherwise, it's at a tension that's fine in other words.
too much tension is hard on things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts