DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slightly bent tire, nothing to major. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on this. Originally the bent tire was on the front right of the car ( i have a 2004 intrepid with 44000 miles) and when I took the car to firestone to get new wheels, they moved the tire to the back just to be safe. I've been driving with it on the back for about 3 months now. I just took my car to another firestone to get a diagnostics done and get the tires rotated, and the guy their said they moved that tire to the front, saying it was wobbling or something in the back? even though the car was perfectly fine with it on the back. I told him the other firestone moved it to the back and he said "Well they didn't do you justice."
What do you guys think? The tire isn't bent to the point where it affects my driving, and we aren't worried that its going to puncture the wheel or fall off or anything, but just to be safe wouldn't it be better to have it on the back of the car, where less weight is pushing on it?

·
Premium Member
16,449 Posts
I think you are using the words "wheel" and "tire" reversed. The wheel is the metal round thing that bolts to the car, the tire is the rubber donut thing mounts to the wheel and contacts the road. :)

The solution is not to move the bent wheel to front or back - the solution is to replace it. If you can find the same wheel in a local salvage yard, that would work best for good mechanical and visual match.

You might also find a company that straightens bent alloy wheels. If they are properly equipped, it should come out good. If you can't find anything local, shipping can be expensive - something like $20-$30 x 2.

Usually a wobble causes an annoying rythmic noise, and is more noisy on the back because the extra weight of the front end dampens the noise - that's been my experience, but again, the wheel should be straightened or replaced.

Also, a bent wheel causes extra wear on the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha yeah I was getting them mixed around, thank you- And once I get the money together I will be replacing it. The main reason I didn't before was due to firestone saying it wasn't a bad bend at all and wouldn't cause any problems, they just moved it to the back just in case. But now the new firestone i went to says it should be replaced as soon as possible, it's just weird that they moved it to the front.

·
Premium Member
16,449 Posts
Probably because in general, less wobbling noise for a customer to complain about on the front.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. I've never heard any weird noises or wobbling noises, but that could be due to me listening to music haha

·
Woober Goobers!
49,376 Posts
Which wheel do you have? Aluminum Alloy or steel with a wheel cover (Hub Cap)? Painted, Polished or Chrome?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,376 Posts
Don't need no Steenkin' Steelies!

Police models in 2004 had steel wheels. I'm not sure all SE models had alloys in 2004.

That's why I asked for clarification on wheel type. A closeup picture of the actual wheel would be the best obviously.

·
Premium Member
16,449 Posts
Don't need no Steenkin' Steelies!

Police models in 2004 had steel wheels. I'm not sure all SE models had alloys in 2004.

That's why I asked for clarification on wheel type. A closeup picture of the actual wheel would be the best obviously.
Well - OK. :ROFLMAO:

Except for po-po, I think only bottom-trim '98 and '99 had the steelies (15").

But yeah - photo and size would be good. Ronbo got wheels to sell?

·
Woober Goobers!
49,376 Posts
There were still 2001+ cars with steelies and wheel covers. Usually a fleet SE or Base model. Towards the end even many if not most SE trim level cars in 2004 had alloys. But not all of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts