DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again. I have heard in the past that JET makes great chips for Intrepids. Are there any of you out there who have upgraded your computer chips for hotter performance/ better gas mileage and would like to share your thoughts? I am thinking of sending out my chip real soon so I must make sure I do the right thing by asking here first. Thanks again!!!

:bluegrab:

·
Registered
663 Posts
God we need sticky.

Ok, if your talking about reprograming your computer. Then yes improvements will be seen. I myself will taking mine when I get around to it locally. B&G is the name I think. But, I have heard good things about Jet. I would do some searches on Jet problems or sucks. To pull up any issues from them. Cover your bases, thats all.

Don't forget about maintaining the car first. You add more stress to a system that is not taken care of will resoult in a blow up. I am apart of the intake spacer project. I am not stressing about getting mine yet. Why? I have to change my timing belt before that thing is installed. So, take care of the basics. Then build from there.( of course I am not saying your not)

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
While I have not dyno a Jet chip for an Intrepid I did dyno one for my Jeep 4.6L Stroker motor. Interesting enough the Jet actually cost me h.p. B&G has done Cincinnati Ghetto Racing (Tom Romans) car and I think he was pleased with the results. Kenne Bell is the other company that does our PCM's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the info. I will check into the other brands you mentioned as well. I will make sure to recheck the timing belt as well.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Jet Chips Are A Waste Of Money. Jet Chips Are A Waste Of Money. Jet Chips Are A Waste Of Money.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,476 Posts
Repeat Spook's mantra!!

Reactions: hardwareguy

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
"What kind of oil should I use with my 1200HP Jet chip?"
hehehe...

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Options depend on your engine

If you have a 3.5, adding one of the computers from a 250HP car (SXT, LHS, 300M) is a nice upgrade. If you have the 234HP 3.5 you will need an HO plenum (upper intake manifold) and the associated wiring as well. If you have Sentry Key this can become complex. 3.5HO engines top out at around 270-275HP after all mods including exhaust and a JoeKD intake. You can do an intake spacer for more torque and boring the throttle body to 70mm helps a bit. Some have gotten higher with nitrous. Beware..... the transmission is only good for around 300HP!

3.2L: Your pretty much SOL in terms of factory add ons from other cars except a 3.5 swap. The 3.2 already has a short runner valve and a manifold tuning valve, so do a JoeKD intake and exhaust and maybe send in your PCM to B&G Chrysler. Other than that, there are a few more exotic mods like intake spacers and bored throttle bodies, but not much. Don't expect more than about 240HP from this after mods. Nitrous is an option on this as well.

2.7L: You're not going to do much good PCM wise unless you add a Manifold Tuning Valve and PCM that can control this....... do a search, one guy has done this. Some 2.7s have the MTV already. A GOOD intake kit like one from JoeKD works very well. Also, don't forget a well designed exhaust..... the stock one on our cars SUCKS.

DO NOT add nitrous to the 2.7L engine! It may not hold up well, this engine is already fairly stressed and is almost tuned to the max from the factory..... there is only so much you can do with 2.7 liters. Repeat after me: No replacement for displacement! A 3.5 swap is considered to be the BEST course of action for performance and durability. Find a wrecked 300M or LHS and go to town!

NOTE: The HP figures are at the crankshaft, NOT at the wheels. We loose a LOT of HP in the transmission and driveline, all cars do but ours are slightly worse. Wheel HP is around 150 for the 2.7, 165-170 for the 3.2 and 185-200 for the 3.5. This is a little low but not too shabby. If only the rated cars on wheel horsepower..... comparison shopping would be TOO easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AWESOME info Hardware guy! I am planning to do a 3.5 swap conversion when I have the dough. Then I will do the intake and go from there. Yeah, my 2.7 needs an attitude adjustment as well. haha. It's like a mule sometimes. Thanks tons man!!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Unless you're sending it to KB, it's a waste of money.

Just psersonal exp.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
And only 1999 to 2001 can KB do the pcm. 2002 on up they can not do it.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
SPOOK R/T said:
And only 1999 to 2001 can KB do the pcm. 2002 on up they can not do it.
B&G fills the gap on that one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright. I decided not to go with Jet. For now I am attempting a cheap mod called the "Pro Boost Platinum". It is supposed to give around 20+ to 30HP in an intrepid, but we will see if I can tell any difference. All I have to do is disconnect my battery, remove the Intake Air Temperature plug, then insert 2 wires from the module into the exposed holes, tape back the hanging plug to keep it out of the way of the fan and that 's it. Hopefully I can find some time to do it this week.

·
Registered
663 Posts
All this is doing is telling the computer its a certain temp outside. This simply gives the engine more gas. You will loose milage with this mod. All it is, is a resister. It can be bought for about 30 cents.

·
Registered
431 Posts
dmondeac said:
While I have not dyno a Jet chip for an Intrepid I did dyno one for my Jeep 4.6L Stroker motor. Interesting enough the Jet actually cost me h.p. B&G has done Cincinnati Ghetto Racing (Tom Romans) car and I think he was pleased with the results. Kenne Bell is the other company that does our PCM's.
From what Tom has experienced, there are some shortcomings for B&G.

• 1. Does not remove torque management
  • 2. Does not firm/shorten shift points
  • 3. No Dyno results from B&G
  • 4. Sketchy claims for results on an otherwise stock LH with only the reprogramming.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
brian95240 said:
Alright. I decided not to go with Jet. For now I am attempting a cheap mod called the "Pro Boost Platinum". It is supposed to give around 20+ to 30HP in an intrepid, but we will see if I can tell any difference. All I have to do is disconnect my battery, remove the Intake Air Temperature plug, then insert 2 wires from the module into the exposed holes, tape back the hanging plug to keep it out of the way of the fan and that 's it. Hopefully I can find some time to do it this week.
Please don't waste your money on this. 20 to 30 hp No Way. 2 or 3 hp if your lucky. The most you will see with any chip mod is 10 to 15 hp max.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Arizona beachfront property,too?

brian95240 said:
HaHaHahehehehehesnortsnortsnffffHaHaHa...
Thanks,Man! I needed that!!

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Dude!!!! Did you not read this thread??!! PRINGLES!!! You need to use PRINGLES!!!!! Trust me...you'll get about the same gain as the "Pro Boost Platinum" mod you're doing :twak:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts