DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the other thread about best engine for an LH car. This is a useless thread to argue about because of one simple reason.

There are many reasons to love or hate an engine.

All 5 have pros and cons and how it fits you is definately not how it fits the next guy.

For an LH, I'll chose a 3.5L everytime because I don't place reliability as priority. I place power. Don't take this out of context, I'll explain. If a 3.3L due to it's simplicity is expected to last 5 years longer. I'll chose the 3.5L because I want the faster engine.

We own one of the most reliable engines of all time. It's a 225" Plymouth built over 40 years ago. It's in my wife's 1965 Belvedere and it's never been out of the car or rebuilt. It STILL runs like a champ and burns no oil. Is it my favourite? Hell no. I can't stand it. Gutless, sounds funny and looks really ugly.

My favourite engine is not very reliable at all. They blow up quite often.

7000 hp Hemi.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Favorite engine? What class?

Water-cooled piston: Packard Merlin.

Air-cooled radial: Pratt & Whitney R4360 Turbo-Compound.

Modified Turbine: Pratt & Whitney J58

Jim Snover

snip

My favourite engine is not very reliable at all. They blow up quite often.

7000 hp Hemi.

snip

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,750 Posts
Favourite automotive engine of all time: 2.4L Toyota 22R, original never touched with 230K miles, still ran without issue even after the timing chain wore a hole in the cover, along with the truck it was connected to, it was a tank; it did things I would expect from a one ton truck, not a mini-truck.

Above all favourite engine of all time: 8V92 Detroit Diesel (heavy truck)
Ill add my favourite truck to that: Volvo VN, with a Detroit 60 and Eaton 13 spd rolls smooth, like a highline luxury car, also Western Star Constellation with an E model Cat is in second place.

Favourite Automotive Diesel: 5.9 Cummins Turbo

Concering DODGE: 3.2/3.5, and the 5.2/5.9L V8, a bulletproof engine in a bulletproof vehicle; my Ram van is just about as tough as the 93 Ram I had with the Cummins. No problems EVER with either vehicle, and I owned the Ram for 10 years; As for the Intrepid, the 3.2 has been perfect, great performance and reliability, but the rest of the car has had more mechanical issues in the last 2 years, compared to the van and truck, which have had none other than normal maintenance.

That aside, an LH vehicle would be about the ONLY car I would own. I like everything about my Intrepid; and will keep it until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Favourite automotive engine of all time: 2.4L Toyota 22R, original never touched with 230K miles, still ran without issue even after the timing chain wore a hole in the cover, along with the truck it was connected to, it was a tank; it did things I would expect from a one ton truck, not a mini-truck.
One of my buddy's had one of those. Since where I live Toyota's are frowned apon he sucked all the engines coolant through the intake AND drove it that like that. Eventually the only way he could get it to blow up was to run it out of oil.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Has anybody ever had any experience with the Nissan 3.5L engine (also a 3.7 version coming)? For reference, this enigne is used in the 350Z, maxima, and some Infinity vehicles. Apparently that's the benchmark V6 engine for all manufactures. It produces more HP than our 3.5 even back when in the early 2000's. Not sure about reliability though... But that engine has made the Ward's 10 Best Engines for like 12 years in a row...

Also GM has a so called "high feature" V6 that seems pretty sweet. In the upcoming version, they are adding direct injection, making the engine capable of outputing 300+ HP, rivaling the Nissan.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The nissan 3.7 is already here (g37). It seems like a lot of manufacturers these days have similar ~3.5L DOHC v6s with very similar stats (290 hp or so). Nissan, Honda, Toyota, GM. There are a few others that will probably join the club soon (ford's 3.5 once it gets direct injection).

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
interestingly enough they all seem like very good engines. IMO, 3.5 is just the right balance beteween fuel consumption and power...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think one of my favourite engines has to be the last generation Toyota Supras 3.0L straight 6. It has to be one of the smoothest running engines of all time, which plays such a big role in why people can squeeze 1200-1500 horsepower out of them.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,750 Posts
One of my buddy's had one of those. Since where I live Toyota's are frowned apon he sucked all the engines coolant through the intake AND drove it that like that. Eventually the only way he could get it to blow up was to run it out of oil.
Yes, I drove mine for a month straight, with a case of oil in the back. It got ran low several times from the hole in the timing cover, but kept right on running, quiet and smooth. You could hear a slight rattle when the engine was cold from the loose timing chain. It still ran when I sold it, and the guy drove it all the way to Pontiac, MI from Ohio. Id buy another Toyota pickup in a second.

Leon22 said:
I think one of my favourite engines has to be the last generation Toyota Supras 3.0L straight 6. It has to be one of the smoothest running engines of all time, which plays such a big role in why people can squeeze 1200-1500 horsepower out of them.
Totally agree. I had a 87 Supra Turbo. Great running engine, very smooth, quiet and power whenever you wanted it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts