DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I was just wondering which Magnaflow muffler would be the best suited (at a reasonable cost) for a stock 2.7 '04 Intrepid. Part numbers would be great. Also, direct fit bolt on is a must since I want to do it myself and have basic tools. Btw I want to change the muffler that hangs right after the fuel tank not the one that's connected to the muffler tip. That might be a resonator not sure but that's what I want to change. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
C'mon bro, how do you expect us to tell you what's the best muffler for these cars? That's more of a thing best chosen by you...and what fits your taste. Someone might recommend a loud ass muffler, then you end up hating it.

But I'm not sure if they make a direct bolt on kit. I'm pretty sure you gotta have some welding skills.

·
Registered
429 Posts
C'mon bro, how do you expect us to tell you what's the best muffler for these cars? That's more of a thing best chosen by you...and what fits your taste. Someone might recommend a loud ass muffler, then you end up hating it.

But I'm not sure if they make a direct bolt on kit. I'm pretty sure you gotta have some welding skills.

He asked what magnaflow muffler would be best. I've looked into it. It needs to be offset/offset with 2.25" inlet and outlet. There is no direct bolt on.....all I found would take some minor mods. There are no hangers on our muffler (in front of the tank) so hangers are of no concern. Length, width, inlet/outlet are all that matters. If you are at all mechanically inclined, you will find something that you can make work. Myself, I put on an OEM style Walker stainless steel muffler. Will last a lifetime (or at least that's how long it's guaranteed ) and bolted right up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have an '02 SXT (3.5 HO) and I have 2.5 inches the whole way back. Stock front resonator then back to the Magnaflow in the rear. Stock rear resonator and muffler are gone. Had a local muffler guy do it, I don't know the part number, but it is 2.5 in 2.5 out, 14 inches long. I love the sound. Idles a bit louder than stock, but really growls under normal driving, especially when you stomp on it, haha. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have an '02 SXT (3.5 HO) and I have 2.5 inches the whole way back. Stock front resonator then back to the Magnaflow in the rear. Stock rear resonator and muffler are gone. Had a local muffler guy do it, I don't know the part number, but it is 2.5 in 2.5 out, 14 inches long. I love the sound. Idles a bit louder than stock, but really growls under normal driving, especially when you stomp on it, haha. Hope that helps.
Keep in mind that the 2.7 used 2.25" piping, while the 3.2/3.5 used 2.5". He stated in his original post that he was running a 2.7. The only real problem using a Magnaflow (or any other aftermarket performance muffler, for that matter) is that if you plan on retaining the rest of your stock system and just replacing the muffler, our stock mufflers are 2.25" ID (inner diameter) on the inlet nipple (if it's factory OEM that joint will be welded, as the intermediate pipe and the muffler are one piece) and 2.25" OD (outer diameter) on the outlet nipple. Then your rearmost resonator (the one under the bumper) pipe clamps over your muffler. All aftermarket mufflers will measure 2.25" ID on both nipples. You can get around this by having a short piece of 2.25" tubing welded into the exit of the muffler, leaving enough hanging out for the resonator pipe to clamp to. Like I said, I took the easy route and used a Walker stainless steel OEM style muffler that had the proper inlet and outlet nipples.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Keep in mind that the 2.7 used 2.25" piping, while the 3.2/3.5 used 2.5". He stated in his original post that he was running a 2.7. The only real problem using a Magnaflow (or any other aftermarket performance muffler, for that matter) is that if you plan on retaining the rest of your stock system and just replacing the muffler, our stock mufflers are 2.25" ID (inner diameter) on the inlet nipple (if it's factory OEM that joint will be welded, as the intermediate pipe and the muffler are one piece) and 2.25" OD (outer diameter) on the outlet nipple. Then your rearmost resonator (the one under the bumper) pipe clamps over your muffler. All aftermarket mufflers will measure 2.25" ID on both nipples. You can get around this by having a short piece of 2.25" tubing welded into the exit of the muffler, leaving enough hanging out for the resonator pipe to clamp to. Like I said, I took the easy route and used a Walker stainless steel OEM style muffler that had the proper inlet and outlet nipples.
Yep. I am well aware that the 2.7 has 2.25 inch piping, that why I said mine was 2.5 inch. And the muffler shop I went to just cut the piping off right in front of the rear resonator. All stock up to there. Then put all new 2.5 inch piping back to the Magnaflow then a tip. Simple and was reasonably priced.

Here is mine with a poor rev job. Sounds much better on the road.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yep. I am well aware that the 2.7 has 2.25 inch piping, that why I said mine was 2.5 inch. And the muffler shop I went to just cut the piping off right in front of the rear resonator. All stock up to there. Then put all new 2.5 inch piping back to the Magnaflow then a tip. Simple and was reasonably priced.

Here is mine with a poor rev job. Sounds much better on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tvEdjD4Ax8
Looks good. Has a nice (but not annoying) rumble to boot!

·
Registered
429 Posts
linkChillz do you have a video or pictures? And do you have a link to the exhaust?
My muffler looks and sounds completely OEM. It just doesn't rust!:biggrin:

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Did you notice any performance difference or just the sound ??

·
Registered
744 Posts
I found this reference chart which seems fairly accurate.

Pipe Diameter (inches) Pipe Area (in2) Total CFM (est.) Max HP Per Pipe Max HP For A Dual Pipe System
1 1/2 1.48 171 78 155
1 5/8 1.77 203 92 185
1 3/4 2.07 239 108 217
2 2.76 318 144 289
2 1/4 3.55 408 185 371
2 1/2 4.43 509 232 463
2 3/4 5.41 622 283 566
3 6.49 747 339 679
3 1/4 7.67 882 401 802
3 1/2 8.95 1029 468 935

NOTE: These numbers are just estimates. All pipes are assumed to be 16 gauge steel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts