DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to add some more RAM to my pc and would like peoples opinions on what they think is the best brand to go with... if there is such a thing.

EDIT: I found this on newegg in their top ten sellers list. Is Corsair any good?
Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
684 Posts
Corsair is good, as is Mushkin and Kingston and others. Each company tho makes several flavours. They all have value brands right up to serious performance brands. I myself love OCZ(I use their EL Platinum http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890), it's one of the top brands and I've never had problems with them. With memory, you get what you pay for, so if you buy cheap you will get cheap. The Corsair you pointed out is their value brand.

Remember, if you are adding EXTRA memory to your pc, the memory will perform at the level of your poorest stick. So if you buy some hyper memory and stick it in with an older crap piece, they hyper memory will perform no better than the crap piece.

Reactions: DodgeyAussie

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the replies guys, greatly appreciated. Now before i go pulling my pc apart, is there any way i have find out the specs of the memory i have without opening up the case. As i understand it there are memory sticks with different pin numbers, and then there is sdram and ddram etc etc. Just want to make sure the RAM i get is the correct on for my mobo. If it's any help, the pc is a HP Pavilion (shudder) model 8860.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK now my cdrom refused to read disks... :doh:

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
My "best memory" is back in the day when I was little, all excited with the anticipation of Santa. . . . wait, that's not what you meant.

I just happened to be on HP's website looking up some stuff for my HP printer when I read your thread. I popped in your computer info and got the info below. Your best bet though is to email customer support from the place you are buying from and specifying the computer you will be installing the memory into. That way, if it was the wrong memory, you will have proof that you bought what they told you was correct, so you can avoid the re-stocking fee/no return policy that a lot of places have on memory.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...t=59404&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph06301#N100A8

Memory

RAM (standard)
128 megabytes (MB) SDRAM standard

Maximum
512 MB (2 x 256 MB DIMM)

Speed
100 MHz synchronous

Sockets
Two 168-pin DIMMs

Free DIMM socket

Size
32, 64, 128, and 256 MB DIMMs

Pairs Required
No

Type Supported
SDRAM, 133 MHz,

Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM specification,
Revision 1.0 compliant

·
Registered
293 Posts
Some of the manufacturers have a "questionnaire" on their sites that help you identify exactly what type of memory is compatible with your computer. I know this works with Dell PCs so I would imagine HP would too.

In regard to types of memory, you do get what you pay for. Don't be scared away from "value brands" as long as they come from reputable companies (Corsair, Mushkin, Kingston, etc.). Unless you are really doing something on your computer that requires horsepower, you would probably never notice the difference between levels of memory coming from a single manufacturer. I have Kingston's "value brand" in a machine at home and have yet to encounter a program or game that gave it fits. But then I would not consider myself a "heavy" user either.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats the difference between ECC and non-ECC RAM?

·
Registered
684 Posts
ECC=error correction; basically the ram has an extra pin on it to provide error correction to the data before it shunts it off to the rest of the system

Mostly used for servers...your typical home pc will not accept ECC ram. You are not looking for ECC ram.

Here's a good link for some basic info on how ram works: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ram.htm

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I've used Kingston Value Ram in the last three computers I've built. Depending on the computer, I've either used the 256MB or 512MB sticks. They have yet to let me down.

I did have one stick go bad when I was doing some mod to my main computer. I think I may have done that accidentally though (I was a little rough removing it :) ).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts