DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Spent $30 at the yard yesterday and walked away with a CRAP-LOAD of goodies, including the 300M door panels for my dash swap.

I've stripped the panels of the hard plastic components and switches and cleaned them up as it was needed very much! I also removed the wood trim since I intend to wrap/paint them.

I've seen tutorials on how to modify the 300M rear panels to fit an Intrepid. More or less cut along the grove of the Intrepid panel to remove the end piece, then peal back the leather and cut off the edge of the 300M panel.

The reason for asking, how the hell do you combined the two parts. Surely to god taking a soldering iron to it until it melts won't hold that strongly will it? (even though the rest of the panel is done this way factory).

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Melting the ABS pieces together is the best way of doing it IMO. That's what I've done a couple of times in the past. When I do it, I cut some thin strips of ABS from the old door panel and use it as filler, just like welding metal. When you peel back the vinyl, it's a good idea to separate the plastic bottom section of the panel from the top vinyl. Also, when separating the vinyl from the door panel, use plenty of heat on the back site of the panel so that when they separate, the foam and vinyl stay together as much as possible. This way, when you put the vinyl back on the foam will help keep the surface uniform looking.

·
Banned
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys,

I'll have to review those write ups, I didn't know they were on here, I encountered one on the LH Forum but it was pretty vague as far as the welding process was concerned. Not familiar with the bumper repair technique.

Thanks for the tip there, I'll try and cut some long strips to use as an extra solder. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts