DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow, some way, I managed to stall my M this morning around 1. A friend was in a bit of an accident in his 240sx and had to have to car towed. I picked him up from the area he was at and drove him home with the tow truck following behind. As we were in his general neighborhood suburbia hell area, I noticed the tow truck wasn't behind me anymore. I turning around and went back when I realized he was just coming around a turn. So, I then put the car in reverse since there was a cud-de-sac just right behind me so I could fully turn around since the streets are somewhat narrow. As I had just stopped and slightly turned the wheel, then about to put it into Drive, it dies. I STALLED an automatic. First thought in my mind - W.T.F. Put it in park, turned it back on, and was off again. That was weird. I was a little paranoid at that point, so I made sure nothing was leaking, nothing was broken, nothing was burning. The drive home was smooth, in fact. My friend says he's embarrassed to know someone who stalled an automatic. One more for the record books.

Anyone have this happen in the past? Any ideas? I'm really just scratching my head on this one.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You're right, I've never done that! Well at least not while driving normally. I did stall my automatic cavalier once when I tried to neutral drop it while rolling backwards down a hill.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I did that with my **** box Neon I used to have (winter beater) but that's another story :p

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That's happened to my 3.2 Trep a few times when I've had too much of a load on it and not gave it enough gas.

As in, the sound system was blasting, the A/C was on high, I was turning the steering wheel at the same time and then gave it too little gas and it just dies. I'm sure with everything running and drawing so much energy and the A/C clutch engaged while steering, that overloaded the engine RPM's and caused it to die when I just slightly hit the gas.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dam that is a first. for a newer car.

my old car (86 cutlass ciera) would stall all the time expecially if it was cold out and the engine wasnt warm.

·
Registered
589 Posts
stalled my moms Rendevous accidently, by sneezing while shifting into drive, and went too far up into reverse while driving out of the driveway and stalled it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Lisa_2000M said:
Somehow, some way, I managed to stall my M this morning around 1. A friend was in a bit of an accident in his 240sx and had to have to car towed. I picked him up from the area he was at and drove him home with the tow truck following behind. As we were in his general neighborhood suburbia hell area, I noticed the tow truck wasn't behind me anymore. I turning around and went back when I realized he was just coming around a turn. So, I then put the car in reverse since there was a cud-de-sac just right behind me so I could fully turn around since the streets are somewhat narrow. As I had just stopped and slightly turned the wheel, then about to put it into Drive, it dies. I STALLED an automatic. First thought in my mind - W.T.F. Put it in park, turned it back on, and was off again. That was weird. I was a little paranoid at that point, so I made sure nothing was leaking, nothing was broken, nothing was burning. The drive home was smooth, in fact. My friend says he's embarrassed to know someone who stalled an automatic. One more for the record books.

Anyone have this happen in the past? Any ideas? I'm really just scratching my head on this one.
It might be time to clean your IAC.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Look at your positive battery cable, it runs close to the tie rod on the passenger side, sometimes it rubs and if the cable is exposed it might cause a short . It happened on mine before.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i have done it a few times, same thing, was reversing, steering, put it in drive, and it just died...i believe that since i had the wheel turned all the way, and didnt give it any gas, the RPm's just dropped too low, and it died...

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Badasstrep said:
i have done it a few times, same thing, was reversing, steering, put it in drive, and it just died...i believe that since i had the wheel turned all the way, and didnt give it any gas, the RPm's just dropped too low, and it died...
Ditto! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Lisa_2000M said:
Now I don't feel so bad. My friend is still making fun of me though...

:icon_cry:
It had nothing to do with you really, it happens to me occasionally after racing hard. RPM can drop a little too much from many things, including shifting from reverse to drive quickly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
my friend managed to stall his 2000 firebird forumla one time by getting scared and letting off the gas halfway through the first donut he had ever done in the car - it rolled backwards and stalled, and he spent the whole drive back to his place scared that he had ruined his transmission, even though it was driving fine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts