DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, 1st newb question here, and just a general one at that.

My son's (used to be mine) 2002 Intrepid with the 2.7 is now sitting in the driveway, waiting to be towed to a mechanic he knows for some work. Looks like Betsy enjoys the sunlight; she sat in the garage for the last 2 years, waiting for "somebody" :emmm: to fix her timing chain.
My son originally talked to this mechanic, mentioned the timing chain shot craps, and the mechanic right off the bat knew that if he's in there, it'd be foolish to NOT change out the water pump, tensioner, etc. The mechanic quoted him a price of $880, parts (chain, tensioner, water pump) AND labor.
Now, discounting the fact that I don't really care to tear cars apart like I did in my younger days, I happen to think this is a very good price. We drove by his shop, and took a look around, bays to work on up to 10 cars, seems to be a straight shooter, long time at location, and no internet-search red flags.
So, assume that the mechanic is qualified for argument's sake, can you all give us a "Thumbs Up" or "Thumbs Down" on this deal ?
We're still going with this guy, next week Betsy goes in for surgery, but I'm just curious as to what your opinions are on that price ?

BTW: replacing the battery, we took apart the air filter and found where a nice family of squirrels had built a cozy nest. Kind of got a kick out of that. Checked ALL the wiring and no, they hadn't been dining on insulation. Life is good sometimes. :smiling:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
When the water pump crapped out and Betsy began her long awaited repairs, did you check the oil for water contamination? If this showed no water in the oil then I'd say you should proceed. If the oil ended up looking like a milkshake and you let it sit for two years, I'd tend to think there will be more $$$ to spend.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Did the chain jump? Or just water pump? If the chain jumped time, you are likely looking at the cylinder heads coming off to repair bent valves as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No indications of water in the oil, so that's good news.
I had a Ford F150 sit in the garage for over 2 years :twik: (steering gear/column) that seemed to enjoy the "rest", too. Had a lot going on then, found a guy off of Craislist that replace the column AND stearing gear box for $350. New parts. She's been percolating ever since.

It might just be the tensioner gave up the ghost but once we're in, we're in. At that point, we're not going to cheap out.
Never had a problem with having to add coolant, no signs of coolant on the driveway.

I'll keep everyone posted, maybe with some pics (lousy pics from a cellphone, but still pics)

:runfire:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts