DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my Corde now looks like this thanks to a faulty ball joint bought from Advance! Luckily I was in the alley just getting ready to pull up to my garage, still pissed that it broke my fender and pulled my CV joint apart!!!!! I bought it NEW from Advance In December 2005.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
oh that sucks. Glad you weren't driving on the highway. How old is the balljoint? if you still have the reciepts and all you may be able to file a claim with them for the damage caused. So much for thier lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is why I keep the actual receipt somewhere and scan a copy into an excel sheet that I use to track maintenance.
Good luck...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This isn't the only part that I've had troubles with. I guess it's not Advance's fault, but it is the quality of parts that they sell. My passenger side outer CV boot has leaked since I bought it! I had a local shop put it in for me since I couldn't dislodge the old one from the transmission.

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the stuff I have bought from Advance in the past. The part is 3 1/2 years old, you don't know how many miles you put on it in that time? Most replacement suspension parts have fittings. How often did you grease it?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I wouldnt be so quick to blame advance, it is a high wear part and it has some miles on it. If you had bought it a couple days ago then I'd be pissed but 3.5yrs is decent. I've had suspension parts go out in less time than that with normal use.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
I have had problems with Advance Auto Parts in the past and I do not buy anything from them if I can help it.

As for your problem I do not think it is 100% their fault, also like that Chewivette stated that the 3.5 years it was in use and having some miles on it is not really bad, and also they are very high failure prone.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wouldnt be so quick to blame advance, it is a high wear part and it has some miles on it. If you had bought it a couple days ago then I'd be pissed but 3.5yrs is decent. I've had suspension parts go out in less time than that with normal use.
I would like to know the brand of that control arm / balljoint from Advanced. Good point on the grease fittings. Also, my '93 has original balljoints/control arms, 161,000 miles.

But I have 2 new Moog balljoint/control arms waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't had any problems with the stuff I have bought from Advance in the past. The part is 3 1/2 years old, you don't know how many miles you put on it in that time? Most replacement suspension parts have fittings. How often did you grease it?
This is going to sound crazy, but the replacement ball joint did not have a grease fitting on it, just a solid cap on the bottom!

3 1/2 years might be great in some peoples minds, but the original part lasted over 10 years, are the parts we manufacture now **** or what? There is no excuse in that! That could have caused a serious accident!

To the best that I can find, the part had approximately 50,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sounds like Advanced sold you a lower priced part. The higher priced / quality parts have grease fittings. The prices on these control arms/balljoints vary from $25 - $100, Moog being on the $100 end with grease fittings. Lower priced parts w/out zerks mass produced junk from China.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Unless your jumping curbs and driving on surfaces other than asphalt, there is no reason to have suspension components go "bad" after replacement within at least 5 years, if not longer. It's subquality parts. Which is what happened with the Dakota/Durango, subpar parts were chosen to save cash, resulting in serious injuries. My 02 Dakota needed balljoints with 30K on the truck, stupidly Chryslers replacements were "sealed for life" units.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I've done it in the past and it hasnt taken me long to adopt the DONT buy China Junk policy. I work all day with items made in china and I have seen first hand how terrible the quality can be. Pay the extra for high quality parts, especially ones with lifetime warranties.

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
A lifetime warranty doesn't make it a quality part. I have seen plenty of junk made right here in the US too.
My girlfriend was made in China, she seems to work pretty good!!! :banana:

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
There won't be any, I don't put her pictures on the internet.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
A lifetime warranty doesn't make it a quality part. I have seen plenty of junk made right here in the US too.
Very true, but with a lifetime warranty this little incident would be covered. and you might even have a case for them to cover the damages.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
There is usually a disclaimer protecting them from that sort of thing...
If you are talking about Advance Auto Parts, I have never seen that Disclaimer (Then again Ihave not been to one in over 3 years). The damage Advance Auto Parts did was to my S-10 truck and from what I have seen / heard they are still dragging their feet and not doing anything. Their insurance company sucks A$$ in making payments to correct their clients Mistake.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts