DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read many post since I'm here and many people talk about the " BIG 3 " upgrade. I'm maybe stupid, but what's that ???

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
lol im curious to know too.

Maybe its stereo (ie Rb1), seats (leather) and atc (climate control)

I kinda went in that order myself. That seems to be the most expensive line up IMO.
I did
1. Rb1
2. ATC
3. seats

The ATC was the hardest upgrade IMO, most work and in the end i still keep it on manual. THe only good thing about it is the screen and nicer interior with it in there. Auto imo is a waste of gas and just ongoing power loss due to the a/c always running (almost always if not all the time from what ive seen).

The others are def worth the money and super easy to do.

·
Registered
780 Posts
it's a power upgrade adding wires from the (1)altenator to the battery and bigger wires from (2) ground to battery and (3) power to alternator , ...i'd search it

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I would think so... and I think my car came with a Police alternator anyway.

No intrepids came with the 160amp alt. That was just for the police vehicles. They are assembled independently from the normal intrepids so they have a completely different spec sheet.

You can upgrade to the 160AMP alternator but honestly it wont do much unless u got excessive audio or running lights all day as they keep in the police cars when directing traffic etc. My battery alt combo hasnt failed once and ive gone to drive ins for like 6 hrs in a row LOL.. didnt fire it up once.

Leave it as is, ING Direct says "save your money" :music:

CM

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
*edit* uncalled for :(

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
No intrepids came with the 160amp alt. That was just for the police vehicles. They are assembled independently from the normal intrepids so they have a completely different spec sheet.

You can upgrade to the 160AMP alternator but honestly it wont do much unless u got excessive audio or running lights all day as they keep in the police cars when directing traffic etc. My battery alt combo hasnt failed once and ive gone to drive ins for like 6 hrs in a row LOL.. didnt fire it up once.

Leave it as is, ING Direct says "save your money" :music:

CM

it is always better to have the larger alterbator no matter whats going on. if you got a huge electrical draw from aftermarket accent lighting, audio equipment ect.... ect.... now with a upgraded alt, battery, and the big three there shouldnt be no electrical problems at all.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
it is always better to have the larger alterbator no matter whats going on. if you got a huge electrical draw from aftermarket accent lighting, audio equipment ect.... ect.... now with a upgraded alt, battery, and the big three there shouldnt be no electrical problems at all.
ure totally right, but i for one dont have anything over the stock power draw so im all set. In fact im cutting down power draw with my ongoing led tail project.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
If what the 'big 3' is is a grounding kit, I have been looking into them, they can help with fuel mileage and power, because it creates less resistance among other benefits lol, I cant remember what all exactly, I read it in a D-Sport Magazine where they broke it all down and showed dyno sheets from project builds that they did to show never a loss in power then they went on to discuss the different available kits.

I may be wrong and if I am, please let me know

·
Registered
550 Posts
If what the 'big 3' is is a grounding kit, I have been looking into them, they can help with fuel mileage and power, because it creates less resistance among other benefits lol, I cant remember what all exactly, I read it in a D-Sport Magazine where they broke it all down and showed dyno sheets from project builds that they did to show never a loss in power then they went on to discuss the different available kits.

I may be wrong and if I am, please let me know
The big 3 is an electrical upgrade it will allow for less resistance in the charging system. This is only important for things like audio systems which draw a lot of power and can put a strain on your alternator and battery. If you upgrade the wires from the alternator to the battery it will allow for less resistance and more efficient charging because you get less of a loss in the wires. It has nothing to do with the performance of the engine.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Yup. My car's got a Police Alternator. Take a look next time you see it. :)
Ya but it didnt come that way. We all have **** that doesnt belong there LOL.
Look at my OEM NAV hahhaha.. just messing with u.

I woudlnt wanna replace teh alt just because Chrysler is soooo retarded. By the time i remove half the car, mess with the tensioner and then reinstall a bigger alt, id rather stick with my stock 130amp.

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Does anybody have an idea what the lenght of the engine to chassis ground strap is?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Does anybody have an idea what the lenght of the engine to chassis ground strap is?
Holy old thread Batman!

Tom (Shadowvox6) would probably know. I remember reading his modlist and it said something about better ground straps.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Holy old thread Batman!

Tom (Shadowvox6) would probably know. I remember reading his modlist and it said something about better ground straps.
There are two, one on the drivers side, one on the passenger side. The drivers side one is about 12" long, and goes to the side of the block, then up to a bolt on the valve cover.

The passenger side is about 12" long, goes to the side of the block, then another 12" down to the engine cradle, then another 4" up to a bolt on the valve cover.

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
What is the purpose of a block to valve cover ground. I thought it would be going to the frame someplace

1 - 20 of 22 Posts