DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I replaced my stock box with a cone filter recently (trying to save up for the tubing :crying5: I'm not even kidding). I took out the old box but there's this other box that connects to the stock tubing. Is this the O2 sensor or something? I installed the cone filter, not expecting any change in performance until I got the tubing (I got it for free), and read about other people removing the air restrictor or resonator or something or the other and wasn't sure if this was removable...can you tell this is my first car?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would there be any benefits to removing this? Even if I kept the MAF connected somehow? I wouldn't mind some extra sound. I kinda figured that I wouldn't be able to remove the MAF, I just had no idea what was in the box.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
The MAF has nothing to do with the box. Yuo can remove the box without having any effect on the MAF at all. I don't really know if there is any benefit to removing it, but I removed mine just because I replaced the whole lower part of my intake and there was no way to connect it anymore.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Yes, our cars use an IAT and no MAF. It is mounted in the intake of the throttle body.
Because sneke_eyez referred to the box as the MAF, I said that if it was the MAF it would not be a good thing to remove. I forgot that we don't have an MAF at all! So to completely answer your question: There is no MAF, there is an IAT in the inlet of the throttle body, and you can remove any part of the intake without affecting the IAT. So knock yourself out in taking the box out and you don't have to worry about relocating any type of sensor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, sorry about all that. Thanks a lot for answering so many of my questions there 00r/t.mopar.muscle. Leave some for the other guys.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Brownsound said:
Lol, sorry about all that. Thanks a lot for answering so many of my questions there 00r/t.mopar.muscle. Leave some for the other guys.
Yeah, I'm a reply whore :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
least you are not an idiot...
sorry for the misinformation... it wasnt honestly because i thought that was the mass airflow sensor, it was because i was thinking he was talking about the mass airflow sensor and at 1:30 in the morning after a day of school my tired brain didnt process it correctly... please excuse my stupidity

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
No MAF's on these cars. They use a speed/density system which use a MAP and IAT.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
sneke_eyez said:
least you are not an idiot...
sorry for the misinformation... it wasnt honestly because i thought that was the mass airflow sensor, it was because i was thinking he was talking about the mass airflow sensor and at 1:30 in the morning after a day of school my tired brain didnt process it correctly... please excuse my stupidity
You don't have to explain yourself, we've all been there. You pretty much told him the right thing, you just used the wrong name so no harm done!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Regardless of MAF or IAT...there is no wiring that runs to this extra piece attached to the intake tubing. I pulled the whole assembly out of mine about the 4th day i had the car and replaced it with the same Spectre aluminum intake/ K&N setup i used to run on my 1st gen. No problems since then. Next thing i need to do is fashion up a CF heat shield to keep the tubing a little cooler. What i'm really waiting for it the SS Magnaflow i just picked up on Ebay for $26.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts