DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been meaning to make a post about my intrepid for a long time now since the car has been reliable and very fun to use. Everyday I drive it I feel like I'm preserving and serving a piece of history.

My journey begins when I had to scrap my 2009 dodge journey that had way to many problems really terrible vehicle imo. I was looking online and wanted to settle for a sedan. I wanted the van at the time because I had 4 subwoofers in a box. I was willing to downsize.

I came across this sick looking all black completely clean body of a car that was at 99k and only $3000. They discounted $500 for expected repairs and I traded my **** box in for $1500. A steal, kinda.

The car needed a lot of love. Me attempting to take car repair seriously got a haynes manual and dug in her. Over the course of last year I have replaced a lot of parts. The car had been sitting for 6 months at the time of purchase and the previous owner probably didn't want to do all the repairs. This babe made me laugh alot on how needed some of the repairs were when removing components.

Me being 21 a young buck, this car has served as my oracle into the knowledge of maintaing my own vehicle. These are most the parts I replaced myself which would have easily cost me around 10 grand.

New axles, wheel hubs, sway bar, stabilizer links, struts(I got a 4pair for $140 because I had no money and they're shot now, replacing with monroe's), all wheels new brake job except the lines, fuel filter, fuel pump, radiator, water pump, timing belt, timing idler, radiator fan, radiator hoses, thermostat housing, both front 02 sensors, alternator, inner and outer tie rods, spark plugs. I feel proud to work on my own vehicle I think everyone should to increase driver confidence.

Currently I'm really thinking about painting the roof and trunk in spanish moss to complete the theme I was experimenting with in relation to the hood. I only have a spray painted panther on for now but I plan to get an emblem for it. Other owners took dodge emblem off for clean finish. The body is super clean with no rust at all everyone seems really surprised me being a michigander that it still has all that swagger. I remember the first day I bought it some guy on the sidewalk looked over with my window down and said "Damnnn!"

I also have all after market speakers. 1 Px500 rockford mono amp, 1 P4x400 4 channel amp, 2 P2 rockford fosgate subwoofers, XS Power battery, skyhighaudio wire, 6x9 punch rear speakers, 6.5 midrange with tweeter and crossover punch variant, and single din kenwood receiver.

As the car sits in the drive I anticipate a rush everytime I go on a long drive. The handling is tight with the new tie rods, the engine is extremely responsive, it drives fast. I've only owned the journey and a buick lacrosse so this is creme de le creme to me. I plant to inspect the cat and do more tuning to it after I put a decent pair of struts in instead of a really cheap ebay brand I found.

Glad to introduce myself to the brother/sisterhood.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,801 Posts
Intrepid pride! Nice 1st post. Welcome.

·
Registered
15,367 Posts
Welcome aboard. Nice work to the car as a young man.

Late!

Reactions: TheBlackPanther

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will post pictures of the internals soon. This is a 3.5 to be specific. I swear owning this car almost feels like being apart of a master race. Everything is super easy to work on. Fuel pump in the trunk, timing belt in the front, sparkplugs straight up, everything seems super accessible for maintinece. Non interference too which helped for my first timing job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been meaning to make a post about my intrepid for a long time now since the car has been reliable and very fun to use. Everyday I drive it I feel like I'm preserving and serving a piece of history.

My journey begins when I had to scrap my 2009 dodge journey that had way to many problems really terrible vehicle imo. I was looking online and wanted to settle for a sedan. I wanted the van at the time because I had 4 subwoofers in a box. I was willing to downsize.

I came across this sick looking all black completely clean body of a car that was at 99k and only $3000. They discounted $500 for expected repairs and I traded my **** box in for $1500. A steal, kinda.

The car needed a lot of love. Me attempting to take car repair seriously got a haynes manual and dug in her. Over the course of last year I have replaced a lot of parts. The car had been sitting for 6 months at the time of purchase and the previous owner probably didn't want to do all the repairs. This babe made me laugh alot on how needed some of the repairs were when removing components.

Me being 21 a young buck, this car has served as my oracle into the knowledge of maintaing my own vehicle. These are most the parts I replaced myself which would have easily cost me around 10 grand.

New axles, wheel hubs, sway bar, stabilizer links, struts(I got a 4pair for $140 because I had no money and they're shot now, replacing with monroe's), all wheels new brake job except the lines, fuel filter, fuel pump, radiator, water pump, timing belt, timing idler, radiator fan, radiator hoses, thermostat housing, both front 02 sensors, alternator, inner and outer tie rods, spark plugs. I feel proud to work on my own vehicle I think everyone should to increase driver confidence.

Currently I'm really thinking about painting the roof and trunk in spanish moss to complete the theme I was experimenting with in relation to the hood. I only have a spray painted panther on for now but I plan to get an emblem for it. Other owners took dodge emblem off for clean finish. The body is super clean with no rust at all everyone seems really surprised me being a michigander that it still has all that swagger. I remember the first day I bought it some guy on the sidewalk looked over with my window down and said "Damnnn!"

I also have all after market speakers. 1 Px500 rockford mono amp, 1 P4x400 4 channel amp, 2 P2 rockford fosgate subwoofers, XS Power battery, skyhighaudio wire, 6x9 punch rear speakers, 6.5 midrange with tweeter and crossover punch variant, and single din kenwood receiver.

As the car sits in the drive I anticipate a rush everytime I go on a long drive. The handling is tight with the new tie rods, the engine is extremely responsive, it drives fast. I've only owned the journey and a buick lacrosse so this is creme de le creme to me. I plant to inspect the cat and do more tuning to it after I put a decent pair of struts in instead of a really cheap ebay brand I found.

Glad to introduce myself to the brother/sisterhood.
I've got a 95 Chrysler Concorde - from my parents - with 67,000 miles on it. I know how you feel - and want to begin restoring it too. Mechanically, its in good shape - so my starting point will be body repair. It was parked under a tree several years ago - which split apart in a bad storm and dropped on the car. The car has 12-15 dimple dents on the hood and top - so I need body work and then a full paint job. I 'd appreciate any tips that forum members might have on finding a good body shop in the Washington DC area that works at a fair and reasonable price. Our hourly rates are horrendous. I'll drive 100 miles to find a shop that I can afford.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Not many 1G out there now!

Take care of and she'll take care of you. I still have my very frist car I bought. My 93 Eagle Vision ESi. She sits inside the garage next to the 2011 Charger Pursuit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[QUOTE=" I 'd appreciate any tips that forum members
[/QUOTE]

Well mechanically speaking welcome to the master race. Fuel pump is in the trunk, battery wide out in the open, 3.5 has its timing and other belts right out in front of bay, battery is right there, Non interference so if your timing belt breaks or has off timing the engine won't destroy itself, everything in general is just easier to work on. It can be a ***** to disconnect the radiator when removing the harmonic balancer but it's ight.

The car has so much control just put in a continental elite v belt and now I get now squeaking. Also got a dayco W rip belt. Both belts mimic the effects of a gator back belt and reducing slippage and stopping the squeak. Also give her a proper alignment. I was going 95 up southfield hwy with no wobble I was like aweeeee ****.

I plan to get a entirely new exhaust and do alot of engine tuning in the summer. The panther runs fine now but I would love to make her **** and span.

Really fun to drive you will love it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The internals of my engine I promised. About to do the head gaskets soon because slight coolant burn no leaks. Can hear a slight fizzle in the back left of the bay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts