·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant say if the headlights are any good but i wouldn't buy from that seller because the Feedback ratings are crappy.
Well it doesn't specifically have to be from him ebay is basically filled with these things, but otherwise I am more so just wondering if it would be at least better then the stock lighting which is all I really want.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I cant say if the headlights are any good but i wouldn't buy from that seller because the Feedback ratings are crappy.
i beg to differ.
of the almost 120,000 who bought from him almost 1000 were unhappy...
mostly because these things are garbage made in china.

so if you dont mind the lenses needing repolishing after a few years maybe buy them, i suggest going down to autozone, or whatever and buy the 3M headlight restore kit.
headlight kit

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
Or pay a body shop to spray them with a good grade of clear coat?

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
that makes them look like S H I T.... needs to bne sanded and polished. lexan polish is in that 3m kit
What's the problem with sanding and polishing the clear coat? If it stays nice and clear over paint, why not on the headlights? It's made to filter out and withstand the UV, and (assuming they use a better grade) is pretty much what comes on at the factory I believe. Anything will eventually give out, but it should last longer than unprotected plastic (or plastic only protected by polish).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
If the headlight was prepped properly to take the clear then i see no reason it would effect the looks or functionality of the headlight and clear is easier to polish than bare plastic when the time comes.

·
Registered
727 Posts
ive done the 3m thing. i had the yellow lights... the "protective film" is oftintimes the yellowing item..

the polish kit starts at like 400 gritt and goes up to 1200 i believe. with the buffer and rubbing compound it makes it look like glass. without a finish. its the original lense just polished. you can probably get a new UV coating at a bodyshop.

ive seen clearcoat over the lense and the problems always user errors, they stop sanding at like 600 or 800 gritt and theres this residual haze. even wetsabded at 1000 grit its dull and white looking, not even remotely clear.

with the 3m kit you get them to factory conditions!!!

please check this out.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I get great results wet sanding and depending on the starting condition of the headlight i work from 800-2500 then polish then there crystal clear.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
I was very happy with results using the 3m kit

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was very happy with results using the 3m kit
Could you possibly tell me what exactly I would need and what exact level of expertise on the mechanical level would I need? I mean I wouldn't say I know nothing about cars but headlights I haven't exactly done or fiddled with.

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
ive done the 3m thing. i had the yellow lights... the "protective film" is oftintimes the yellowing item...
Exactly. That's why I said:
Or pay a body shop to spray them with a good grade of clear coat?
and
...It's made to filter out and withstand the UV, and (assuming they use a better grade)...
(emphasis added)

...with the 3m kit you get them to factory conditions!!!...
Except without any coating, which they come with from the factory. Best would be a good grade of clear coat after proper prep. Polish that - it will need it less frequently and will prevent degrading of the underlying plastic that degrades quickly under direct exposure unless repeatedly polished.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts