DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching what this is and how to fix it. 1999 Dodge Intrepid 3.2. I'm at the point do I invest more $ or not. I'm 73 and live on low social security. Have replaced many parts in the last 2-3 years, including new routers and breaks, 2 weeks before this. My A/C compressor/clutch went out 2 days ago, thus two problems. The mechanic I've trusted for years lied to me about 6 months ago and it turned out I went to AAA repair and they did it for half the price and it wasn't all that he said it would be. My trust has diminished for their service. Just talked with him again after research for the last 5 days and thought I had an fairly good estimate/problem solution with cost. Now it says there could be more than one actuator at fault and a list of other problems for which I don't have enough money. Are there more than one actuator? Problem: No heat/aid coming out of the center vents. Cold air was coming out of the top and bottom vents before the AC compressor went. I want to buy another used car but then there's no promises the thing will not blow up a week after I get it (just no promises on buying a used car ever). I know this car and how much I've already put into it. Now I need to decide whether to invest the $3000 or figure out how to buy a car with $4000 savings. I'm open to thoughts and suggestions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've been researching what this is and how to fix it. 1999 Dodge Intrepid 3.2. I'm at the point do I invest more $ or not. I'm 73 and live on low social security. Have replaced many parts in the last 2-3 years, including new routers and breaks, 2 weeks before this. My A/C compressor/clutch went out 2 days ago, thus two problems. The mechanic I've trusted for years lied to me about 6 months ago and it turned out I went to AAA repair and they did it for half the price and it wasn't all that he said it would be. My trust has diminished for their service. Just talked with him again after research for the last 5 days and thought I had an fairly good estimate/problem solution with cost. Now it says there could be more than one actuator at fault and a list of other problems for which I don't have enough money. Are there more than one actuator? Problem: No heat/aid coming out of the center vents. Cold air was coming out of the top and bottom vents before the AC compressor went. I want to buy another used car but then there's no promises the thing will not blow up a week after I get it (just no promises on buying a used car ever). I know this car and how much I've already put into it. Now I need to decide whether to invest the $3000 or figure out how to buy a car with $4000 savings. I'm open to thoughts and suggestions.
Sorry to hear all this. Sounds like a real pickle. If you feel confident, you could just tackle it yourself to save some money if you feel like it’s worth it to fix this problem. It sucks that there isn’t a lot of info online about these cars like there is for other models. I’d make sure you know exactly what the problem is before doing anything. If you’re not comfortable doing anything, take it to multiple shops and get multiple opinions/quotes to get the best deal.

I have a hunch it could be a blend door actuator if none of the settings from change when you move the air location. That’s my 2 cents but I’d definitely do more research on this. This forum is your best friend for stuff like this. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear all this. Sounds like a real pickle. If you feel confident, you could just tackle it yourself to save some money if you feel like it’s worth it to fix this problem. It sucks that there isn’t a lot of info online about these cars like there is for other models. I’d make sure you know exactly what the problem is before doing anything. If you’re not comfortable doing anything, take it to multiple shops and get multiple opinions/quotes to get the best deal.

I have a hunch it could be a blend door actuator if none of the settings from change when you move the air location. That’s my 2 cents but I’d definitely do more research on this. This forum is your best friend for stuff like this. Good luck!
Thank you for your suggestions and thoughts. It's greatly appreciated. I used to be able to repair the car but I am now disabled, so that leaves me out doing it. I will do some more research and will take it to the AAA repair center for their thoughts and estimate.
Hopefully I will receive some additional feedback here as well. Blessings and prayers, Catherine

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions and thoughts. It's greatly appreciated. I used to be able to repair the car but I am now disabled, so that leaves me out doing it. I will do some more research and will take it to the AAA repair center for their thoughts and estimate.
Hopefully I will receive some additional feedback here as well. Blessings and prayers, Catherine
Sounds like a good idea. Sorry to hear you’re unable to do it yourself. Hopefully you can find a shop that can do a good job for a reasonable cost.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
I just posted the following in reply to your post in the other thread. Bottom line, in my opinion, it's time for a new/newer car:

Face it: A car this age is always going to need something, and many critical parts are getting scarce and of low quality. An example: At this age, our cars often need a complete new set of brake lines due to corrosion and rupture - dangerous if not done, and very labor intensive to do. At your age, my advice is to get a newer (new if you can afford it) car.

I can say that because I'm 71 and used to love working on my cars - key words: "used to". Other than my '85 F150, I replaced my older cars (including two Concordes and a '99 Buick) with new cars - it was the right thing to do.

Especially if you can't DIY and have to pay shops to do your upkeep, an older car will drive you to the poor house. The same money will pay for a replacement car in short order and make life much simpler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts