DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found a good way to make the blend door operable manually?

I replaced the blend door actuator less than a year ago and it has failed again. I'm pretty sure these parts are no longer available, so what else can you do? I paid TWICE the list price at the Dodge dealer last year and he said it was the last one available in the entire Midwest. I spent many, many aggravation hours standing on my head and quite a bit on tooling just to get it repaired. I'm not repeating this every year!

So just curious before I get rid of this car if there may be a solution. Obviously a car that you can't depend on is not much good.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
You can get them several places. I know AAP sells them as well as ebay and amazon. I probably even have a couple laying around if you want to go used.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might take you up on that offer, but at this point it seems useless to replace a part that seems flawed by design. What is AAP?

Right now am shopping around for a 4th generation Trans Am or a mid 90s Fleetwood. Both more reliable and even the Cadi gets much better mileage than the Intrepid which gets a dismal15 mpg. I don't get that either. Last car I had that got mileage in that range was a 79 Coupe Deville that weighed THREE TONS and had a 425 cubic inch engine! Honestly, I don't know why any of you guys are into these cars.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you're only getting 15mpg you have other issues somewhere.I have a 3.2L and it gets high 20 mpg's on the highway and low 20's in a combination of highway and city driving.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
My 3.2 gets 28 mpg on average... And I have my foot in it most of the time. You got issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well unless things have changed in the last few months Advanced does not have actuators. If you can please post the part number I would be very grateful. I kinda think you're mistaken or talking about a part that was once stocked, but no longer is.

As for mileage, the CAR definitely has issues, but it runs great, so I don't get that either. It also have extremely low miles.

The car itself, I don't hate, it is just the lack of reliability. It's not just me either, just look how every day there are scores of new postings all concerning issues. For a car that is not particularly popular I find this rather alarming. I follow other forums and can tell you the incidents of malfunction is out of line and the complexity of doing simple maintenance makes this a hard car to live with.

I figure the majority of you can't afford a better car and are likely younger and have not owned a lot of other vehicles. I don't blame you for trying to keep your wheels running, but I'm telling you, there are far better cars out there.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Well unless things have changed in the last few months Advanced does not have actuators. If you can please post the part number I would be very grateful. I kinda think you're mistaken or talking about a part that was once stocked, but no longer is.

As for mileage, the CAR definitely has issues, but it runs great, so I don't get that either. It also have extremely low miles.

The car itself, I don't hate, it is just the lack of reliability. It's not just me either, just look how every day there are scores of new postings all concerning issues. For a car that is not particularly popular I find this rather alarming. I follow other forums and can tell you the incidents of malfunction is out of line and the complexity of doing simple maintenance makes this a hard car to live with.

I figure the majority of you can't afford a better car and are likely younger and have not owned a lot of other vehicles. I don't blame you for trying to keep your wheels running, but I'm telling you, there are far better cars out there.

You have not liked the car for over a year. Sell it and be done with it!
Just quit bitchin about it!
I have owned cars since 1970 and owned expensive to cheap. Dont tell me what I know. Maybe its YOU!
You have been bitchin since you rolled in looking for advice and no one helped you.

Posted 8/11/2011
Well good luck getting help here. I posted a similar prob days ago and only one guy chimed in.

Honestly, it seems like Intrepids are a huge pain in the arse and I'll be putting mine up for sale soon. I don't need this kind of aggravation on a car that isn't even fun to drive. Anybody bigger than 4' tall I guess is hanging their left foot out the window since the moron who designed this car has got the wheel well right next to the brake pedal. I hate this car.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
AAP list item Dorman 604-5101 for $38.99

It doesn't say if that is blend door or mode door but it's worth a look. Amazon has same part for $26.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well what do you know, somebody actually feels my pain and is willing to help. Thank you kindly I will check out AA one more time.

And "DUDE" how do you figure the constant failure of the blend door actuators in mine as well as many of the members cars here is on me? Do a search before you run your mouth. You sir are a goofball.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,010 Posts
I've never had a blend door failure in any of the 4 2nd gen LH cars I've owned or currently own. You need to JJI.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
hmmmmmmmm............... a 1998 car. I wont have problems with it...... Yeah right. :lol:

I fully expect to work on an older car REGULARY!

I think YOU sir have false expectations as to the reliablity of a 14 year old car!
Lets see, the first blend door lasted 13 years lets say?? The new one lasted 1 year??? Maybe you put it in WRONG and caused early failure!

:cry:

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Mine is a 99' and I just finished putting in its third engine. Reliable? Yes for being how old it is and how many kms I have, can it handle the way I was driving it? Obviously not, but that's not the car's fault, its my own.

And I don't even know what the blend door actuator is and have never had to replace one.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts

First off its personal preference. Do you realize that 2Gs are now pushing 12 years old and 99% of them were driven daily for the whole duration? Newsflash, parts wear out with AGE too, not just mileage. You want to talk about reliabilty? You support a mid 90s Cadillac. Wow. Because those are the epitome of reliable. Between rust, the nice little electrical gremlins they had and Optispark, you have fun with that. You dont like your car, sell it. Dont come on here bitching about it and making rash generalizations about how we are financially because of what we like and drive.

My 2.7 is over 100k miles and is spotless on the inside. Doesnt burn oil, rattle and idles perfectly. I've never had to replace any of my blend doors and my ATC has worked perfectly ever since I put it in. My 95 Buick has a rod knock, leaking valve cover gaskets, an intake plenum leak, radio does not work properly, and the climate control is stuck on high. Oh and has 115k miles. But do I bash the car? Nope. Because it's older and I know its going to have problems. I have common sense though. So quit your bitching. There's a reason you have nothing but red beads for rep.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,974 Posts

Havent seen such a BS statement in a long time! This is great entertainment here.

:lmao:

Still got my original 1998 blend door actuator. Works fine! This is not that common of an issue.....LOL...Oh, and these cars were quite popular, a few million of them on the road, I used to see them every other car....there are less now that they havent been made in 8 years...but back in the early 2000's they were one of the most common cars out there!

I have owned 43 vehicles in my day, Fords, Chevies, Dodge, Toyota, etc....from one brand new, a couple close to brand new, to a few clunkers that fell apart daily (fords)....still, the Intrepid is better than them all...IMO. If you think just 14 year old intrepids are problematic, I can give you a list of serious issues on any make and model car, especially after being several years old...try me.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
or try me,,, its time to buck up,, dont like it , leave,, plain and simple,, I have 150K on mine,, figure ill get another 150K,, you like GM's? go ahead and get ya a olf bird or Camaro,, I know for a fact 3 times more problems I sued GM over a Camaro,, and won,

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
My only comment:

:love-smil

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The car itself, I don't hate, it is just the lack of reliability. It's not just me either, just look how every day there are scores of new postings all concerning issues. For a car that is not particularly popular I find this rather alarming.
I like a challenge and I'm pretty decent with numbers. Lets give this one a little bit of thought....

I know my numbers won't be anywhere near close, but it oughta be close enough to put this into perspective. I remember reading somewhere that there were approximately 160,000 dodge intrepids produced in the peak production year. (Keep in mind thats only the intrepids! We haven't even included the 300M's, LHS, or Concordes in this estimate). But lets just say that there were somewhere around 110,000 intrepids made per year between 98 and 04. There's 7 model years, so approximately 770,000 intrepids.

Now, at the moment there are 30,571 members here on dodgeintrepid.net. It seems as though many people join DI.net because they have either own an intrepid and looked to the forums for help, or they are doing research before buying a vehicle.

To make it easier to estimate, lets consider all of the other cars in the LH platform and just round off the number to 1,000,000 cars. We have around 30,000 members. That means that our cars account for a whopping TWO HUNDREDTHS of a percent of all 2nd Gens that were made. Are you trying to say that our cars have reliability issues just because we have 30,571 members?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Production of the LH body began in June of 92. Mine was built Aug. 13th 1992. Considering she recently turned 20 and I've only replace the blend door and recir door once with junkyard parts perhaps, 2 years ago I think I'm doing fine.

Also, car does not get pampered. See Sig below for details!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.