DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on the way to easter sunday church when I get behind my slow ass cousin doing 40mph in a 55 mph zone so I go to pass him. I notice I'm losing power so I let off the gas when I get almost passed him and pass him slowly. When I got in front of him and back down to 55mph I notice #6 giving me a terrible con-rod tap and grind. got into the next town and picked up my g/f's son and left with the tap still banging loudly. I had an engine with a terrible tap before and I figured it would be all right to get home with but I just got out of town when I heard a huge bang then it was dead. I managed to get it started again but only made it another 1/4 mile when it started smoking terribly. I pulled into a logging road and called my brother to come out with my dad's truck and pull me home. Haven't looked too closely but I'm think there's a rod hanging out of the block or the pan and/or the head gaskets blew. Gonna borrow a cherry picker from my friend and see what happened next week. Found an engine with 130K on it for 400 bux here. thinking about it but gotta see the damage to my own first. Maybe this is the perfect start to a 4.0L stroker build ?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
your head gaskets didn't blow... that sucks man, good luck with what ever you do!

if you don't got a rod out side the block then check your compression and timing... your belt might have slipped..

·
Registered
24 Posts
$400 for a used motor. Thats not bad. Labor costs or doing it yourself?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
****, chewie is right, we all have a tendency to blow up our 3.5L we need to stop that ****! We are starting to sound worse than the 2.7L I spun a rod bearing at some point in my 1500 miles that i put on that engine lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
$400 for a used motor. Thats not bad. Labor costs or doing it yourself?
Doing it myself. Won't be the first engine I've done but definitely the first in this configuration. My dad's buddy has a cherry picker he's going to let me borrow when I have the time and I plan a full tear down to see what happened. Heard a nice rod knock before it stopped completely and there was oil all over so I bet there's a rod hangin out somewhere.

Pid, How the hell did you spin a od bearing already ?? :hmm: Your engine hates you ....

·
Registered
689 Posts
your head gaskets didn't blow... that sucks man, good luck with what ever you do!

if you don't got a rod out side the block then check your compression and timing... your belt might have slipped..
I think it is past the point of checking comperssion now
Tom

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My first Gen 3.5 handled nitrous like a champ, maintenance is the key to those engines, you gotta keep up on them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't tell the story of why I think my engine blew yet. Well the night before easter sunday I met up with this punk in town with a Pontiac Grand Prix GT w/3.8 N/A and handed it to him. He's been tearing all over with his loud rap blaring and I've been wanting to catch up with him to teach him a lesson. Well saturday night he was on my ass and followed me when I turned to go home which is a mile out of town so I knew he didn't have any business going out there. I knew he was up o something. So when I'm accelerating out of town he pulls along side me and I punch it. He got the jump on me and got one fender ahead of me so I held it down and slowly gained on him. I got ahead just before we had to brake for the next corner and I turnned into my driveway but he turned into the neighbor's and turned around so I wanted toraceagain. I lined up next to him on the road and we took off but this time he had me. My car was noticeably slower and he won. I think that was the start of my engine problems right there.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My first Gen 3.5 handled nitrous like a champ, maintenance is the key to those engines, you gotta keep up on them.
I wanna see more pictures of your car and some 1/4 mile runs! The engines are very very strong engines (i ran mine for 1500miles with a rod knocking and bearing spinning) if you take good care of them.

Agreed

I spun a bearing in my car... Well i have no idea why, maybe the way i drive i wasn't the easiest on it, the sound got to me a few times which I'm paying for. Next time I'll keep my foot out of it for sure.

I'd think if you threw a rod threw the block then the engine wouldn't even turn over unless it spat a chunk out and the rest just blew apart and dropped in the oil pan, other wise it's all laying in the wind-age (spl?) tray.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I didn't tell the story of why I think my engine blew yet. Well the night before easter sunday I met up with this punk in town with a Pontiac Grand Prix GT w/3.8 N/A and handed it to him. He's been tearing all over with his loud rap blaring and I've been wanting to catch up with him to teach him a lesson. Well saturday night he was on my ass and followed me when I turned to go home which is a mile out of town so I knew he didn't have any business going out there. I knew he was up o something. So when I'm accelerating out of town he pulls along side me and I punch it. He got the jump on me and got one fender ahead of me so I held it down and slowly gained on him. I got ahead just before we had to brake for the next corner and I turnned into my driveway but he turned into the neighbor's and turned around so I wanted toraceagain. I lined up next to him on the road and we took off but this time he had me. My car was noticeably slower and he won. I think that was the start of my engine problems right there.

Ive raced a couple of grand prix gt's in my 99lhs and id say there about as fast as a second gen 3.5 HO as far as acceleration

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spun a bearing in my car... Well i have no idea why, maybe the way i drive i wasn't the easiest on it, the sound got to me a few times which I'm paying for. Next time I'll keep my foot out of it for sure.

I'd think if you threw a rod threw the block then the engine wouldn't even turn over unless it spat a chunk out and the rest just blew apart and dropped in the oil pan, other wise it's all laying in the wind-age (spl?) tray.
The engine doesn't turn over anymore. Took my batt out and gave it a good charge to see if it would turn over and I could listen to the knocking. Well my batt is well charged and all it does is click. Pretty sure it's seized. Wisconsin got hit with some shitty weather last week so I'm waiting until later this week.
Ive raced a couple of grand prix gt's in my 99lhs and id say there about as fast as a second gen 3.5 HO as far as acceleration
Well I held on OK and this kid just turned 18 so I'm assuming it's high milieage. His exhaust is so worn out it' actually loud with mufflers present !! What do I have to say for all of this ? Well I say an engine, 500 big ones and the added aggravation of the fact that I have to tear into a car that I just did all four corners new brakes and a lower mileage trans. just to prove my car was faster that first run is wellll worth it.

i have never seen that kinda damage b4 do u have any pics ?
Will get some pics as I'm tearing into it. Pretty sure I'm gonna at least see some awesome holes in the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Put a break over bar and a 15mm socket on the under drive pulley and turn the engine over.. Or at least crawl under the car and look it's not that hard to jack it up and look it only takes 5 min.. .Hell it took me an hour to pull my engine again... Thats with eating supper in there haha! :banana:

Good luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah will do tomorrow. I wanna see the carnage !! I enjoy bragging to my family and friends about where the rod caps end up. Last time was a SBC 350 and a rod cap ended up melted in the fenderwell skirt.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
I wanna see more pictures of your car and some 1/4 mile runs! The engines are very very strong engines (i ran mine for 1500miles with a rod knocking and bearing spinning) if you take good care of them.
Chrysler rushed the engine development on the 3.5, just like the Ultradrive to get it to market for 93. Wobbling crankshafts, crappy waterpumps, and the ability to throw a rod at high engine speeds with some mileage on them. I was one of the lucky few to not have any engine issues, or transmission trouble when I sold mine.

Want strong? Any LA Series motor, Slant 6, or 3.3/3.8 engines are bulletproof.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Damn ryan I miss that wildberry over there, I knouw our 94ES 3.5l got sold with 199k Engine had Zero problems ran strong and was massivly quiet on idle no knocks nor taps. Just needed a 5th tranny rebuild so it was sold for little of nothing but I still see it rolling today

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well got the car up on jack stands. Sad news, no rods coming out of the block or oil pan. there seems to be a lot of oil that leaked from the head area so I'm guessing I blew a head gasket or two then the resulting oil pressure loss was the demise of my engine. I put a breaker bar on the engine and tried turning it over to no avail. Totally seized. Well now I have to get the car apart to see what really happened. Maybe wait a couple more weeks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts