DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blinkers one day just stopped working.. it doesn't light up nor do i hear a clicking sound... everything else works though thats on the same stick or handle. the high beams, wind shield wipers..

-replaced the bulbs
-replaced the fuse
-replaced the flasher

next step is to check the switch behind the steering wheel..

any tips? open to ANY suggestions. also have i missed anything?

Thank you for reading this, any help will be very appriciated!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Well, seems like your replaced everything else, when you go to replace the switch also make sure all the wire's are nice and tight before you replace the switch, just to make sure. But those switch's do go out in these car's.( Most of the time it's the headlight part of the switch that goes). Here's a How-To on the switch:

Combination Switch

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

These vehicles use a multi-function switch (also called a combination switch) to control a variety of tasks. This switch contains the electrical circuitry for the turn signals, the hazard warning switch, headlamp beam select switch, headlamp optical horn, windshield wiper switch, pulse wipe and windshield washer switching.

This integrated switch assembly is mounted to the left side of the steering column. Should any function of the switch fail, the entire switch assembly must be replaced.

Disconnect negative battery cable.

Tilt the steering column up and remove six screws holding the lower column shroud.

Tilt the steering column down and remove the upper column shroud.

Tilt the column up and remove the tilt lever.

Using a flat bladed tool in place of the lever, tilt the column down.

Remove the two mounting screws on the switch, then remove the switch from the column, disconnecting the two electrical wiring harness.

To install:

Install the switch to the column and secure using the mounting screws. Tighten the combination switch-to-column mounting screws to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).

Install the upper and the lower steering column shrouds tightening the retainers to 17 inch lbs. (2 Nm).

Install the tilt lever.

Connect the negative battery cable. Check all functions of the combination switch.

Hope this helps you !

·
Registered
660 Posts
You might try clicking your emergency flasher switch off and on a couple of times.
My turn signals quit after I used my 4way once and I had to play with the switch to get them working again. Has happened twice.

The turn signals have to interconnect thru the E flasher switch so that it can override them. The contacts must oxidize over time because they don't get used. Turning them on and off cleans them off a little.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Every so often my signal lights don't work either, actually it happened again this morning on the way to work!. The green indicator lights don't come on, and sometimes there is a clicking sound, but not always. Anyway, all I have to do to get them working again is to turn on the hazard lights and let them flash a few times, just as 'dodgerunner' says.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW THAT WAS IT!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Thanks very much Strongt for your effort, kindness, instructions. i will definately show your guide in this post to anyone who is needing the replace their switch!

Woot!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts