DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, to make a long story short, car was driven by my sister for about 4 miles in 1st gear at redline, and my engine in my intrepid is dead. No compression on cylinder 1, antifreeze in the oil and a blown up radaitor. The car is a 2000 ES with the 3.2 engine, according to the dealership, to repair or replace the engine, i'm lookin at like $4000. So i'm debating my options. Either i keep the car and pay the money to get it fixed. or i part out the car, and sell the parts on here and ebay. or lastly, i sell the car as a whole with the bad engine. If i sell or part the car i'm gonna buy a 300m. So what do u guys think, fix it, part it or sell it?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Your car is really nice and you have alot of moeny and work into it that you'll never get back if you sell it. I would fix it. Why the hell isn't your dumbass sister going to pay for it??

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Dude your sister broke that ****, she should pay for the reapirs, no ****in questions asaked.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i'd have her pay for repairs, but she has no money. And the car has 142k on it, so i gotta figure out if fixin it is worth it. i only paid 4000 for the car, so putting another 4000 into it hardly seems worth it. what do u guys think would make me more money,parting it or selling it as is. But of course i'd keep all my aftermarket goodies.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Why the **** did she drive in 1st gear for four miles? What's this girl's damage? I feel angry at your sister just reading this.

·
Banned
338 Posts
who says you gotta get a new engine from the dealership? you got a used car with a 142k on it, put a used engine in it!

you can probably get a low milage with a warranty from a junkyard for under 700 bucks and pay an independant mechanic that you trust to put it in for a couple hundred more.

so figure 1000 to 1200 and you are good to go again. much cheaper than a new car or engine.

And I think I can say without a doubt your sister needs a good bitchslap. If she doesnt have a job to pay for the stupidity she laid at your feet, she should at least do some personal work for you (mow the lawn, clean the house, watch the kids etc, well maybe not watch the kids... )to somewhat compensate you for the mess.

AJ

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yes, i feel the same, if she cant pay for it with money she needs to do somthing to pay you back! But i dont think letting her watch the kids is a good idea... I'd buy a used engine and throw in it, or even buy an rebuild kit and do it my self, but it depends on what all is broke.. Good luck on it man, and um backhand your sister, I'd do it if she was my sister! (but then again me and my sister arn't to fond of each other)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yea, get a used motor to put in there!!!!!!!!! I think you'd like this Qoute from a great member here...

interpretblurple said:
well i responded in your last thread but i will get even more detailed for you here ok

go to www.car-part.com and look up a chrysler 300m or LHS and then look up engines and then when the results come up hit the mileage filter and go from the lowest miles on the engine...after calling various places and confirming accuracy of the engines and prices to ship and all that jazz you should have your info...expect to pay from 700-1500..i personally got my engine for 1100 shipped to my house with only 8,000 miles on it...next you need an accessory kit which can be bought from 32intrepid and he provides a very good deal on the parts you need...personally i dont think you need the new radiator but yea...look in that how-to you mentioned so you can see all the stuff you need...i actually have an extra alternator that i can ship you for free since you seem to be in a bind and i remember how it feels since my engine crapped out on me and only di.net was there for me....next you need someone to install your new engine and remove your old one...the swap is straight forward meaning you just take out everything and pop the new one in that easy..the only thing is that you have to cut the exhaust pipes from the cat back to make the engine fit but this is minor and any good welder or muffler shop can do this for you..again check the how to you mentioned it tells about the amount to cut and where...i believe the cost of the accessories plus all new fluids and such..will be about 300-500 so your looking at about 1000-2000...providing of course you have someone to put it in. Hope this helps
This qoute is for someone that has a bad 2.7L engine, and is looking to put in a 3.2 or 3.5L engine... So all you need is just the engine and not a kit.......

Oh yea as to your sister!!!! :beat:

·
Registered
13,702 Posts
Same here-get a used 3.5 and swap it in-I'd say the radiator is goning to come out to give you room to work, so with 142K probably get a new radiator.

I'm at 291K-no oil loss between 5500 Mobil 1 changes 26-27 mpg I would do it in a minute since it appears you have taken pretrty good care of your car and know what shape it is in. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Do you have any mechanical skills, or any motorhead friends?
An engine swap can be done at home for $1200 to $1500...

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
intrepid1994 said:
just a hint before thinking about parting your car out i bought a car because people wanted parts then when it came down to buying the parts no body wanted to pay so beware

exactly, you may get 100 posts saying they want parts, when its time for them to fork over the money, you wont hear from them.

slap a motor in the car, and drive it for another 100K miles

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
If you swap the motor, I would like the fuel injectors pig tail harness(that connects the wire harness's to the fuel injectors, since I need (4)-of them), How much?, I dont want to buy a whole new harness, unless you give me that D.NET DEAL BRO!, ;) Thnaks!

Luroc -----> PM ME DUDE!, :)

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,448 Posts
Holy crap! Why in the heck did she drive it 4 miles in 1st gear? Has she ever driven a car before? Does she know what the red area on the tach means?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
she probably just thrue the gear down and realize she was stressn out the engine and tranny, lol, Ive ran across this acouple of blue moons here and there, just completely forgot about the ***** in AutoStick mode,lol (dohh)!,lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
In2Deep said:
Your sis has no money? Pimp her out until it's paid for! :grinpimp:

I'm, just kidding!!! :biggrin:
If she's cute I'll toss ya $50.00 for sum fun! :flame:

Seriously though, check around for a used engine for sure. Even going as high as $2,000 still keeps it reasonable. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.