DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was loosing coolant in my 2000 Concorde, 3.2, having to put in about 16 oz. a week in the reservoir, but no overheating. I read that a common problem that causes the leak with these vehicles is the o-ring under the lower intake manifold where heater tube located going bad. I had the o-ring/gasket replaced a few days ago. Coolant still leaking after work done so I took to another shop and had pressure test done and was told the head gasket is blown (yeah I should have and the pressure test done first).

Are there any head gasket sealers that work for this type of vehicle, and if so, what is the brand?

·
Registered
247 Posts
do you have a miss?
where is the leak?
head gasket problems aren't common without over heating.
lower intake manifold gaskets and the oring onthe tube are common leak points on the engine.
pinholes in the return tube are also common.
when was the timing belt/water pump last replaced?
does your engine have a miss? run rough?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was some strange rattling coming from engine a few months ago when coming back home from a town 3 hours away, but it stopped the next day...no missing since then.

I said the lower intake gasket/o-ring was replaced yesterday.

I had the pressure test done and the mechanic said where water was shooting out indicated blown head gasket, but I don't recall specifically where he said leak was coming from. He said before pressure test that there was coolant near transmission.

I purchased the car used about a year ago and do not know if or when timing belt replaced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You've checked all the other hoses related to the cooling system?
Over the transmission there are 2 hoses that go to the heater core. If you have no proof of the work being done, then the safe assumption is they are now 20 years old, unless you replaced them at the same time as doing the o ring on the LIM.

·
Registered
247 Posts
well, sometimes the intake can be too corroded around the oring seal and even a new one might not fix the problem.
or, as stated, there are heater hoses and lines that come out above the tranny, at the back of the engine.
take the air cleaner hose off and have a look around behind yourself.
maybe they screwed up with the intake gasket replacement.
you'll have to find out exactly what is wrong before you can repair it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the tranny have to be removed to check the hoses?

Regarding your comment about maybe gasket replacement was screwed up, I thought about that too, but I'd have to pay labor again to remove the manifold and check the ring/gasket which was $200 last time.

A mechanic told me today that Blue Devil head gasket sealer works excellent. Ever used it yourself? If hoses check out ok, I may try that.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,530 Posts
Sounds like a "Shade Tree" mechanic to me. None of the "Snake Oil" sealers are worth a crap. Find the actual source of the problem and fix it right.

·
Registered
247 Posts
just the air cleaner hoses. maybe get a mirror to look around under the throttle body.
at worst, you might remove the wiper tray to get a real good look, but shouldn't be necessary.
and if you find the lower intake leaking, i'd take it back for warranty.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the lower intake manifold/o-ring job not replaced correctly, then wouldn't the pressure test done on the engine show leaking from that area? As I said in previous post, the pressure test done indicated blown head gasket because that was where leak coming from.

just the air cleaner hoses. maybe get a mirror to look around under the throttle body.
at worst, you might remove the wiper tray to get a real good look, but shouldn't be necessary.
and if you find the lower intake leaking, i'd take it back for warranty.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's not a simple / inexpensive fix, I'll sell the car because it needs few 100$ of front end work done.

Someone told me that because the car has 173K miles it's risky to try to replace head gasket since head could be cracked/warped and/or other issues when trying to replace it.

Sounds like a "Shade Tree" mechanic to me. None of the "Snake Oil" sealers are worth a crap. Find the actual source of the problem and fix it right.

·
Registered
247 Posts
can you see the tube where theoring is?
that's why i'm telling you to look.
investigate and find it for sure.
why did your mechanic replace the oring if it wasn't the problem?
he should have verified where the leak was before performing any work.
any monkey can turn bolts.
it takes a good mechanic to actually find the problem and fix it right.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For what it's worth, the cylinder head gaskets are a multi layer steel design, usually the 'upgrade' for cars known for having a problematic issue with blowing head gaskets. I will echo what other members have said, get a second opinion on the issue.

I'd start with the heater hoses, and inspect your overflow tank for any visible cracks as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts