DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I went to Best Buy and had my system from my Stratus installed. Here's what I have:

Sony CDX-F5710 (Headunit)
Pioneer TS-A1671R 6.5"
Pioneer TS-A6971R 6x9

Unfortunately, they didn't check for the OEM 2-Ohm amp, which was still connected. Currently, my systems sounds like crap (I've bypassed the amp with a decent clip, strip, and solder job). So, I thought my speakers might be blown. I ohm'ed out one of the front 6.5"s, and the multimeter read 2 Ohms. The speaker itself is 4 Ohms. Are my speakers blown? I just want some confirmation... otherwise I'll be looking at a new head unit.

Thanks guys,
Nick

·
Registered
436 Posts
your first mistake was going to best buy and having them install it. retarded monkeys can do a better install than those guys. i saw one incident where an "installer"(and i use the term loosely) duct taped the patch cords for the amp to the back of the head unit

·
Registered
476 Posts
Im not sure. If you bypassed your speakers and are running the power directly from your head unit it should be fine. I had that problem a few years ago when my infinity amp was screwing my new speakers up. They worked great afterwards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup. See, I bypassed the OEM amp AFTER the new deck and speakers were installed. Actually the OEM amp isn't even in the car anymore. I figured everything would be fine, but apparently not. A 4 Ohm speaker shouldn't ohm test at 2 ohms, should it?

·
Registered
476 Posts
IcePenguin said:
Yup. See, I bypassed the OEM amp AFTER the new deck and speakers were installed. Actually the OEM amp isn't even in the car anymore. I figured everything would be fine, but apparently not. A 4 Ohm speaker shouldn't ohm test at 2 ohms, should it?
Sorry man, thats all the experience ive had with mine. One of the guys here will figure it out.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
IcePenguin said:
Even though they are both measured in ohms, impedance & resistance are 2 different things. You can't get an impedance measure with an ohmmeter. There is no way that the factory amp could damage your speakers anyway. If I remember correctly, your factory system was the midline, right? That system is 4ohm unlike the 2ohm infinity and regardless, if you hook up 4ohm speakers to an amp that is designed for 2ohm speakers, you won't get maximum output and you potentially could damage the amp, but you can't hurt the speakers by doing this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
Even though they are both measured in ohms, impedance & resistance are 2 different things. You can't get an impedance measure with an ohmmeter. There is no way that the factory amp could damage your speakers anyway. If I remember correctly, your factory system was the midline, right? That system is 4ohm unlike the 2ohm infinity and regardless, if you hook up 4ohm speakers to an amp that is designed for 2ohm speakers, you won't get maximum output and you potentially could damage the amp, but you can't hurt the speakers by doing this.
Thanks for your reply. I guess my question of concern is where to look for problems then? Could it be the headunit? I don't think I did THAT horrible of a soldering job....

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
What exactly is it that makes yoo say it sounds bad? Is there distortion, noise, poor frequency range or somethign else. It is very hard to pinpoint whether the problem is somethign faulty or just poor sounding equipment. You said that you had this system in another car so you have heard it before, right? This owuld eliminate the possibility that you just have bad sounding speakers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
hate to ask the obvious, but are you positive all the speakers are in phase?....very little current going through, i highly doubt its your soldering job.....try running a speaker wire directly from the back of the deck to a speaker bypassing the stock wiring to eliminate the wiring being a problem....and just because an installer works at best buy doesnt make him a bad one, i know a couple who work, or have worked at best buys and are top notch, people just like to bash big name super stores.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.