DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was on another forum and i saw some guys detailing there cars and wet sanding the body and it take some light scraths off. have you ever heard about it? How do you exactly do it?

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Well there'd have to be some pretty significant scratches for me to consider going that route - and even then, I wouldn't go anything less than wet-sanding with 2000 grit.

I would think that most can be polished/buffed out with a proper polisher and the proper polish product, using proper technique. :biggrin:

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts
one thing you need to think about is the age of the car.....most car have anywhere from 3 to 4 coats of clear on the paint and as the car ages and that paint goes throught the elements of time.....those coats of clear will eventually wear down and color sanding it may break that down more to the point that you break through the clear coat.........paint older then 18 months I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what your doing..........I would go the route of rubbing compond and a high speed buffer.

·
Registered
706 Posts
one thing you need to think about is the age of the car.....most car have anywhere from 3 to 4 coats of clear on the paint and as the car ages and that paint goes throught the elements of time.....those coats of clear will eventually wear down and color sanding it may break that down more to the point that you break through the clear coat.........paint older then 18 months I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what your doing..........I would go the route of rubbing compond and a high speed buffer.
x2!! i used to detail cars... some were repeats that were missing small patches of clear coat because the wax temporarily made it look like they have clear coat.

do yourself a favor, polishing/rubbing compound it.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've seen on tv shows that if you know what your doing and are extremely careful, you can do it on OEM paint. Like what's been said, OEM clear is very thin and is very easy to go through. However, with aftermarket paintjobs, they use more clear so its easier to do without messing up.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i see, well i was just thinking about but no i will just compond glaze and wax :hrmmm:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts