DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think we talked bout this but i can't remember, wil out MAP sensors read a certain amount of boost before hey stop working accurately? i know the 3.0 chryslers will read 5psi will ours also? :rolleyes: :mad: :eek:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think the MAP sensors on our 3.5's will read up to 1 bar, which I THINK is about 12 psi......anyone know if I'm righto or wrong??

But thats including atmospheric, you could probably turbo a few psi and everything would work okay, but any more than a few psi would be murder on your car.....detonation anyone? haha...how the hell much is atmospheric normal pressure anyways?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
isn't the defination of 1bar 1 atm?

Sea Level PSI is around 12 or 13 psi.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
14.7 psi
29.92 in Hg
1013.2mb

damn i knew aviation meteorology would come in handy some day.

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: 97 sport platinum ]

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
hehe... yep

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so then does anyone know how many psi our MAPS will read, i only want to run a max of 5psi if i do this

·
Registered
167 Posts
The MAP sensor will only read up to 1 bar. That is 14.7 PSI. That is the pressure of the air at sea level. If you raise the pressure further (like with boost) you would be exceeding the range of the MAP sensor. For instance, five psi of boost would be 19.7 psi of absolute pressure in the manifold. The MAP sensor would still be reporting 1 bar (14.7 psi) and you would get the wrong fuel mixture. So the short answer is No. You can't run any boost with the stock programming and MAP sensor. It can't detect anything higher than atmospheric. I'm trying to work on a solution to this, but it can be tricky.

Scott

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well, even if you could change the stock programming in the computer (for some cars they make programmable ECU's. Check out AEM's Web site...they have some nice programmable ECU's there.....) you would still have the problem of the MAP sensor not being able to read any boost you put into the intake manifold. This means you would need to replace the MAP sensor with a boost gauge, and then reprogram the computer. Like I said, apparently ASE chips cannot re-program the computer like this (I've asked). Not sure if any other of the performance chip makers can do it, but I know that IF AEM makes a program that will run on our car, with their programmable ECU's then you could do it, providing you could mate a boost sensor with the plenum...And then you would probably have to change the piston rings, and so on.....

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It must be able to be done, changing the sensors and programming I mean, because tuning shops do it all the time to production cars. I believe they need to add a knock sensor and other components besides changing the computer program and MAP sensor.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i already have a setup and design that will elminate the stock MAP/ECU problem, it's just that the way i want it done wil cost to much right now. I coulda sworn ours would have read aleast liek 3-4 psi like other cars, but maybe i am wrong. maybe these ones are very touchy and don't like anything diff, but i am gongi to take one and play with it. otherwise i guess i'l have to go with my other original idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts