DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one tried to turbo charge a 3.5 ? Or any one know the strengths and weaknesses of the 3.5? I am looking at my 02 and am doing a 2.7 to 3.5 swap.(yes I bought the manual.) and am looking at the performance mods that have been done and what others may have thought about doing. I have seen a few posts about a 4.0 stroker but no thread connected with a "how too". Please be nice guys! I am new here!!!LOL

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
hey!! I just realized who you are from TD.com heh.

It was been done long but the guy ate transmissions, same problem the prowler guys have. Not sure what the failure modes are, they are super cheap for our cars so you could blow one up, figure out what went wrong and then beef it up.

The other concern is that we've been seeing some bearing failures on cars running sustained high RPMs (5000+) Which means you're shifting early and not staying in boost as well. This issue has only started to manifest recently so it might be an age issue too.

I know how you feel man, I've got a perfectly good mitsu turbo I pulled off my 2.5CB when I swapped it into the daytona (and another one I could rebuild from a donor car) ... I think a little turbo like that (or two of them) would spool up like crazy on the big 3.2/3.5 and get you some decent air moving in the 2-4K RPM range. Get the fuel right and youve got an MF torque monster in second gear. Could be a ton of fun. I think about it often, but I need to be putting money in the Daytona. One car at a time!

I think if I were going to try it that's what I'd do. I'm saving those turbos for a rainy day. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the current motor I am working on is a 3.5 Mitsubishi with 2 TEO4H turbos. as soon as I get it done I am selling it so I can move on to the intrepid. I like the way the motor sits in the car. a twin turbo set up would be VERY easy!!! the 2 things I am wondering is if the exhaust manifold can be turned backwards and how what the fuel is like in a 3.5. I will need to get the car up and running and have a wide band O2 sensor so I can see what the motor is doing. The way I look at it a 10:1 compression motor with low boost would yield a very powerful motor that would be street friendly!!!

·
Registered
738 Posts
The Prowlers had the same engine and transmission. They put in different final drive gears to give it the pep, and frankly, it was outpacing my friends SRT4 Turbo Neon. Final drive gears are a nice place to start, not a horrible job or a lot of modding and rigging.

They've twin turbo'd the 3.5's as well, more so in the Prowler than anything, but if you can fit two turbo's under the hood of that very very small engine bay it's easy on ours by comparison.

Exhaust manifolds from a first gen are a good place to start, better flow, rather you turbo, or just leave it as is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts