DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came in the mail today from MaxBore. I'll get it measured up later for a finish diameter. Bore finish and throttle plate fitment look pretty darn good.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Looking good Art...when you going to put it on?

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably after this damn heat wave. Correct Doug, no gaps. It would have been nice if they had included a note with the finished diameter, but thats what they make calipers for

·
Registered
15,104 Posts
Nice product you have there, the limiting factor is the wall thickness for the dang elbow. I made my own 70mm TB and polished the crap out of that wall thickness until I was comfortable yet not too thin.

Late!

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's 70mm, thats all you can get out of these newer ones. I could probably polish it a bit, but it isn't going to make that big a difference so I'll just be happy with it the way it is.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I think it was Maxbore that I sent my TB to. They had horrible communication skills and it really didn't look like they did much. Faced off the inlet lip and straight bored the opening to the butterfly diameter

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MaxBore makes a new butterfly for it after it is bored. It is straight bored, measures 70mm on both sides, not much room to taper the bore on the inlet side, if you take anymore you would probably crush it with the clamp for the boot.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
The only thing you could do is taper bore the outlet to 72-73mm.
I might make that request when I send them mine next week.
I am glad we got that done Art.
Now get the damn thing on the car, and let me know how it is??

Slacker

:D:D:D:D:D

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You won't get 72-73 taper on the inlet, its to thin

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
They made a new plate for me, they had to cause you pay in advance. I had two throttle bodies when I sent mine. I compared the one they did with my spare, and it didn't look like they did much. I must admit I don't have calibrated and certified eyesite capable of 'seeing' a 1mm difference in bore radius though :)

It just seemed like they didn't "max" bore it. I think they played it a little on the safe side

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Not on the inlet...the outlet.
I am confused. I know that you must know that the smallest diameter in the throttlebody will dictate the max flow possible. So larger outlet vs inlet doesn't do any good. The inlet side is the restriction.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
I am confused. I know that you must know that the smallest diameter in the throttlebody will dictate the max flow possible. So larger outlet vs inlet doesn't do any good. The inlet side is the restriction.
There is a taper from the factory on our TB's. There is a reason for it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A taper in the outlet of the throttle body would increase the velocity of the air flow flowing into the low pressure area behind the throttle body

EDIT: Realized after Tom was talking about making it larger rather than smaller, so the above principle wouldn't apply

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
The taper out is to smooth the airflow from the small diameter of the TB to the large opening of the intake cavity. Same with the incoming end of the TB - to allow for no sharp edges from the intake air tube into the TB throat.

Maybe a taper can be added to the inside of the elbow? or maybe a taper can be made of JB weld and added to the end of the TB, as to allow for a taper with out compromising the clamping surface?

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Art, you get this installed yet?
Hell at this point you could wait for the meet.

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just might, been pretty busy with lots of other stuff

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tom installed the Maxbore throttle body on my car during the meet. It works great, idles perfect and there is a noticeable difference driving. Car pulls nice and hard and doesn't seem to flatten out early at all.
:riptires: :woot:

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
what was the cost roughly?? I may look at getting one bored out locally from a machine shop if shipping is going to kill me lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts