DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these spark plugs a good investment ? i check my plugs the other day and im gonna need to replace them so i dunno if thats a good one or not or even worth it.....any feedback would be apreciated :) thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Thats what I put in my car. So far I havent had any problems, and I definately get a lot quicker response out of my engine from it. (I have a first gen, but ah well). The ones I got were only like 1$ more expensive from autozone then the dualtips.

-Brandon

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
yes, exactly like the Champ golds but with a platinum tip, this is right from the champion website

If long life, power and performance are what you demand from your vehicle, then Champion's Platinum Power™ plug is what you need under the hood.

Platinum Power offers features you won't find on standard plug designs, including a copper core center electrode tapered to a platinum tip. This is combined with a Champion-exclusive tapered, copper core side electrode for improved ignitability and longer plug life, and projected core nose that provides more power and smoother idle.

There are 14 design types in the Platinum Power line, two of which serve as original equipment in DaimlerChrysler automobiles. The new line covers 90 percent of cars built in 1988 or later. All Platinum Power plugs are designed to meet or exceed original equipment specifications. Champion Platinum Power carries the best premium single-platinum plug warranty in the business of three years/unlimited mileage.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
There has been discussion several times around the Bosch +4's and all other types of plugs - coppers, platinums, etc. Everyone has their opinion of how they perform. I have seen no real testing how the different plugs perform in our cars.

The general consensus(I think) is that the +2's will be just as good as the +4's, platinum plugs last longer than copper plugs, but coppers perform better than platinums.

If I had money to burn, I would buy a bunch and take them to the local dyno just so we could speak actual numbers for them and not seat of the pants or manufacturer hype.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree with 04intrepidsxt. I bought my 93' mustang cobra with about 95000 miles on it and it had never been touched motor wise, including the plugs/wires/coilpack, etc. I changed the plugs to bosch double platinum and definitely felt a difference..next I put on some ford racing plug wires, and a demon coilpack and WOW....big difference...now in a trep, who knows...but I am due for a tune-up and I am going to definitely get the bosch double platinum tips and some nice wires and check into hotter coil packs and I will let u all know if i feel any "difference"........

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Copper makes the hottest spark, but yes platinum does last longer. I'm thinking of going to copper +4s here soon since I'm coming up on the 60k mark.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
enough, we are talking a spark discharge and not an arc discharge.
Just make sure that your spark plug doesn't have an internal resistor (in an effort to suppress RFI)
How many millijoules is the low energy setting of our coils.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
skandalon said:
Astrogiblet,
The 1st gen motor is a waste spark system. Coppers will perform the best for you, however, you have to replace them more often. Hypnos will tell you the same thing, and he is the man w/1st gens.

Hmm.. thats weird, cause I swear I felt a difference when I put the platinums in. The coppers werent in bad shape either, I mean the car only had 54000 miles on it.

-Brandon

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
Personally, I'm going to change over to Champion copper when I change mine. More spark, more efficient - but I'll need to replace them more often.

If I were going with plat I wouldn't get the +4's. There have been a couple of people that have had problems with them ...
Astrogiblet said:
Hmm.. thats weird, cause I swear I felt a difference when I put the platinums in. The coppers werent in bad shape either, I mean the car only had 54000 miles on it.
Do you suppose those were factory plugs ...?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts