DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know much about speakers and ohms and all that, but just curious.

I have bass, but after listening to BOSE speaker system on Chevy Impala I have started to realize that infinity speakers are like sound coming out of AM Radio.

Can I just buy BOSE automotive speakers and install it in my car with the factory amp. Will it work and do the job its suppossed to do??

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speakers I have are in great condition (stock speakers all over and front door speakers upgraded to Kenwood), but is no competetion when compared to BOSE speakers. I would just like to know if I can buy bose speaker and replace my front doors and rear deck speakers with them. Just Plug N Play.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Bose = no go!

Bose automotive speaker systems are designed specifically for each car.

You could put them in your car, but due to the wicked impedence on the speakers, we are talking 1 ohm and in some cases 0.5 ohms, you will NEED the amps too. The amps also contain an EQ circuit, but unfortunately, it ain't tuned for your car. It may sound fine, but it might sound like crap too. Geting it to fit could be a REAL challenge, remember, the car's interior is designed witht these proprietary speakers, so they are probably have a funny mounting pattern or even a different shape.

The Bose systems can sound very good indeed, but a GOOD aftermarket speaker system can do a better job with less cost than buying Bose parts that aren't made for your car. Bose sound systems also vary in quality. I heard one in a Mazda 6 and was VERY disappointed, my Infinity Reference speakers blew it away, on the other hand, I heard one in a Cadillac Deville, WOW! I couldn't imagine that I was listening to a stock system, it sounded like my system with the Infinity Reference speakers without the bright highs.

Infinity's aftermarket stuff is a nice upgrade if you are strapped for cash, but if you want REAL sound, go with Seas, Image Dynamics, or Vifa. Focal is great too, but the holy grail is Dynaudio, but at around $1000 per pair, I don't see those in the near future.

I have the Reference speakers and while they are good, I find myself wanting more. I find them a bit too bright and harsh on some vocals.

Good gear is NOTHING without an equally impressive install. Use damping material made of uncured Butyl rubber like Dynamat Xtreme and seal up EVERYTHING. A small air gapetween the speaker mounting flange and the hole will destroy your bass response in the doors. This air gap can be seen on almost ANY aftermarket speaker install pic on this site, not good folks! RTV is your friend here! :D Kill every rattle you find and be creative in your acoustic improvements, a little thinking will save you a LOT of cash.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
hardwareguy said:
Bose automotive speaker systems are designed specifically for each car.
That's exactly what I was thinking as well. But Kumiyer, with the kind of hardware that you have in your car, why settle for a 2 channel system? Why not get the full blown DVD-Audio system with the 5.1 surround sound since you already have all those screens in the car. If you think that Bose system in that Impala sounds good, go check out the DVD-Audio systems in the Acura TL and RL. The cars come with a DVD-Audio disc in the glove box to test the awesome sound of the stereo system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts