DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Links provided are for product reference.

I'm looking to get different subs and came across something I forgot about...a sub with a passive radiator.

The sub is a Boston Acoustics G512. The PR is a Boston Acoustics GTR12.

I'm looking for good, deep, low bass (rap, techno, bass CD :) ). But yet I don't want something that would be so muddy when I play country or rock. Which would give me the results I'm looking for? The sub alone in a ported box, or the sub with the PR in a sealed box? If I use the PR I have to use a sealed box.

The amp I plan on using is my JBL BP600.1.

TIA,
^chase

·
Registered
126 Posts
nice choice jbl is good, that sub is beautiful looking! ummm, if u want clarity, i'd stay away from the no name sub builders, and stay away from Audiobahn, they're all looks. Kicker is very good, i have been impressed by them, everytime i get a sub, from my dads 15 year old kicker contenders series to the comp vr series, and to my current l7, the l7 has great sound quality, and will definantly bang, most of the decisions to whats clean, and whats loud, is the box, if u build a ported right u can get good sound quality, but mostly sealed is good for quality, and will still bang. ported will be louder, but boston is a good maker, and that sub looks bad ass. its up to u.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
You can achieve good, deep, low bass with the design of the box, are looking for tight hard hitting bass (sealed) or slightly boomy and louder bass (ported)?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elboricua75 said:
You can achieve good, deep, low bass with the design of the box, are looking for tight hard hitting bass (sealed) or slightly boomy and louder bass (ported)?
Yes, and yes. Ok, let me explain (or at least try).

I think perhaps the box I'm using isn't designed the way I want it. But, it does meat the specs of the driver. I'm currently running 2-12" JBL GTO subs (about five years old or so) in a sealed box. I forget what the box size is, but I know it is within the JBL specs for a sealed enclosure. I'm using the JBL BP600.1 amp.

It seems like it should be louder than what it is. Before (about 2 or 3 years ago) I was running a single JBL sub (in a sealed enclosure) which was being powered by a Sony XM amp bridged to 150W. It was routed through the stock deck. It banged pretty good. I later went to a RF amp (forget what the bridged wattage was off the top of my head) that was more powerful. It also happened that at the same time my line convertor fried. After changing things, the system didn't bang as loud. When I switched over to my current system (which includes an aftermarket deck), I found out the gain on the line convertor was all the way down. I should have looked at that before.

Before I had this car I had a '91 Plymouth Sundance America. I was running 2-12" Cerwin-Vega XL subs which was powered by an Earthquake Annihilator amp pusing out about 130W RMS per sub. The subs were in a ported enclosure. That system pounded, especially using my EQ. It also played country and rock pretty decent. Granted that car was a hatch back and a much smaller car.

From what I know of JBL subs they tend to be more on the SQ side. I want a little more SPL, but not all SPL. So I figure I would shop around for some subs that I could use in either a sealed or a ported enclosure.

I would really like to hook up my EQ. Love this EQ! The lowest band is at 30Hz! I'm just not sure I can mount it.

I listen to a mix of everything. I would like to thump when I play some techno and put in a bass CD (love the low bass). But when I play the country or rock, I don't want it to sound muddy. I'll give up some clarity when playing country and rock to get more hard hitting low bass, but not so much that it becomes muddy.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Just because the enclosure is within spec doesn't mean it's optimal for the subs. And if you read closely you may see that the spec states that 1/2 the enclsosure volume should be filled with polly. Basically, everyone wanted to advertise very small enclosures so they maximized what they could and still keep the enclosure size to a minimum. Before upgrading and building a new enclosure etc. you may want to experiment with a $5 bag of "stuffing" (the stuff they fill pillows and stuffed animals with) from WalMart (not the best stuff to use, but it does the job and is very economical)...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hey dbaudiopro is there a way to calculate the amount of polyfill to the amount gain in the box?? for example if you have a 2 Cubic foot box and you add the entire $5 bag of polyfill what kind of gain will there be?? will it be like 2.25 cu ft or 2.5 cu ft?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
There is an equation, but it's not worth getting into. It varies based on the material used (polyester, fiberglass, etc.) the type of enclosure, how it's packed, etc. etc. It gets ugly quick. Even the experts pretty much agree that it's a trial and error process to find just the right amount of stuffing to get the desired response...

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
If the enclosure is too big then it should sound boomy and not as accurate as it would in a smaller enclosure. Larger will also lower your rolloff frequency which it sounds like you're looking for. Just based on what you've described, I'm guessing adding some polyfill will improve the situation. But only trying it will prove/diss-prove it...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dbaudiopro said:
If the enclosure is too big then it should sound boomy and not as accurate as it would in a smaller enclosure. Larger will also lower your rolloff frequency which it sounds like you're looking for. Just based on what you've described, I'm guessing adding some polyfill will improve the situation. But only trying it will prove/diss-prove it...

Ahhh, yes. My setup certainly doesn't sound boomy.

I will give the polyfill a try. I don't think I will get to it this weekend. I'll certainly let you know the results.

On a side note, I've always wanted to get a pair of Adire Audio Shiva subs. I've heard great things about them. Now that I'm flirting with the idea of changing subs, I can't find them. The Adire Audio website was re-designed to **** and they no longer have an online store. I tried the dealer locater but most don't list anything from Adire on their websites. One did but said they are out of stock. Nothing on ebay. Anyone know where to get these things?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hmmm...maybe I don't have to do anything after all. Maybe I should explain.

The way my deck is set-up, in order to turn it off I have to hold down the power button for like two seconds. The power button is located in the upper left corner. A few days ago I went to turn it off, but when I pushed the button, the whole left side of the deck pushed back into the dash. Well, that ain't good. But it did happen to me once before. At that time what had happened was that the screw holding the deck to th side mount rail got loose which allowed the deck to slide. A tightening of the screw was all that was needed.

I figure the same thing has happened again. So I take apart the center trim and remove the four screws holding the adaptor plate onto the dash. Before I could grab the deck to remove it, the front face of the adaptor kit just fell into my hands. This certainly isn't a good sign. So I disconnect the wiring and pull the deck. What had happened was that most of the prongs holding the side rails onto the front face were broken. Damn. Got to get a new adaptor kit.

The new adaptor kit arrived today. I just finished installing it. Before I finished the install I tested the deck to make sure all the connections were done properly. When the deck turned on, I noticed that all my settings were changed back to the factory default. No big deal. Makes sense really. So I finish the install and start listening to a whole range of music. WTF? The base is hitting harder. It's "louder". My theory is that before I changed some setting which had a negative impact. Since everything was reset back to factory specs, my error was corrected. The true test will be tomorrow when I'm actually driving. It's always louder when parked. But still, it is louder than it was before. I still have some more "testing" to do with various CDs, but it's looking good. Sure took me by surprise.

Although I do love my gadgets and gizmos, I do miss a straight up honest deck. My deck I had in my Sundace (Clarion Pro Audio :) ) just had the basic settings. But I also had it going through a 7-band Clarion slider EQ. Loved that thing.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Chase if you still want the Adire Shiva's you may want to look at Dayton DVC 12" click here . They are basically identical and the Daytons are only like $109 instead of the $179 MSRP Adire wants. I can vouch for these speakers, i have the 15" version at home in a ported sub box with only 250 watts and this thing shake the house down. A buddy of mine who builds custom speakers boxes built a 1 cu ft box for the 12", he said that speaker kicks ass in the car. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
elboricua75 said:
Chase if you still want the Adire Shiva's you may want to look at Dayton DVC 12" click here . They are basically identical and the Daytons are only like $109 instead of the $179 MSRP Adire wants. I can vouch for these speakers, i have the 15" version at home in a ported sub box with only 250 watts and this thing shake the house down. A buddy of mine who builds custom speakers boxes built a 1 cu ft box for the 12", he said that speaker kicks ass in the car. Just something to consider.
Thanks. Great website. I think I may have found a sub and amp to build a home theatre woofer. :)

I noticed that Dayton has a PR for that sub too. Hmmmm.... :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
i am gonna give this a bump. i am looking at buying the same subs. the local dealer in my area said they give very clean sound and will bump loud enough too. what do ya's think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts