DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just spent the weekend waxing three of the cars in our family and was not overly "chummy" about the results from the products I used.

1) Mothers California Gold Brazilian Carnauba cleaner wax is what I used on the Intrepid and our daughter's Sentra. (Miserable to apply and almost as bad to buff off,)

2) Zymol liquid on our 300. (Went on easy, buffed off great but no real depth.) The next day I put 3M shine enhancer or something with a name like that on the 300 (definitely helped with the depth)

Neither had a really "slippery" feel when it was done. You could tell they were freshly waxed, but not the results I expected.

I did clay bay each one before waxing as well... a lot of work for average results IMHO.

I remember waxing my Cordoba and my Mirada with Raindance in the 70's and 80's and the results were like what a TV commercial would try to portray (I did not own a buffer back then either). I know, they were not base/ clear paints etc, but the products seemed better back then.

I did use DRi-Wash back in the early 90's and that was pricy but worked well. Simple to apply and pretty much a one-step process.

I don't know.... Rant over.:rant1:

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
back in the day ,, I used Raindance,,, looked good didnt last long in the FL sun

I also remember doing a simoniz job on my Mothers white Corvair,,, man,, it looked fantastic

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well if you really want a good wax job then cleaner wax isnt really the way to go. For instance when I detailed my trep it was a big process and I will see if I can recall most of the products I used (if I dont know I will ask my buddy). Started with Meguiars clay, then this stage one polish, and then the second stage of the same polish, and then some (I think) Blackfire paint protectant, and then I used some Meguiars gold class wax. The paint came out buttery smooth and made it so anything you put on it slid right off including other people. And it has pretty much stayed that way since then (four months ago) but its only like that when its clean. Keeping the buttery surface takes some time and effort, for example it took me and my friend 2 days to do the outside of my car and that includes a total of more than 10 hours of claying between the two of us (my car is white and had never been detailed before then).

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Well if you really want a good wax job then cleaner wax isnt really the way to go. For instance when I detailed my trep it was a big process and I will see if I can recall most of the products I used (if I dont know I will ask my buddy). Started with Meguiars clay, then this stage one polish, and then the second stage of the same polish, and then some (I think) Blackfire paint protectant, and then I used some Meguiars gold class wax. The paint came out buttery smooth and made it so anything you put on it slid right off including other people. And it has pretty much stayed that way since then (four months ago) but its only like that when its clean. Keeping the buttery surface takes some time and effort, for example it took me and my friend 2 days to do the outside of my car and that includes a total of more than 10 hours of claying between the two of us (my car is white and had never been detailed before then).
^^^^ this ^^^^^

Each car is different. (different paint, different conditions the car is subjected to)

I remember Rain Dance, nice stuff. I also remember Blue Coral. I remeber Rain Dance worked on almost cars equally.
There are so much better products out there now.
Adams Buttery Wax
Liquid Glass
Zanio
etc........

Not a big Maquires user so I cant comment, but they do not recieve many complaints that I have heard.

I will make only one suggestion. Many products require a certain technique. The same technique used with a simular brand may not work. I dont know how you applied the wax, but make sure to follow all the suggested techniques. ie. some products should not be allowed to bake on in heat, some do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^ this ^^^^^

Each car is different. (different paint, different conditions the car is subjected to)

I remember Rain Dance, nice stuff. I also remember Blue Coral. I remeber Rain Dance worked on almost cars equally.
There are so much better products out there now.
Adams Buttery Wax
Liquid Glass
Zanio
etc........

Not a big Maquires user so I cant comment, but they do not recieve many complaints that I have heard.

I will make only one suggestion. Many products require a certain technique. The same technique used with a simular brand may not work. I dont know how you applied the wax, but make sure to follow all the suggested techniques. ie. some products should not be allowed to bake on in heat, some do.
New product: reading and following directions is mandatory and was done for each product. As to the cleaner wax not being the final step to a great finish, I could buy that IF IT CLEANED WELL,:hulk: and this was after the Clay bar had made a big difference. These are among the worst I have used Just thought I would share my results to possibly save others some money. All were in shade the whole time (as per the instructions).

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
New product: reading and following directions is mandatory and was done for each product. As to the cleaner wax not being the final step to a great finish, I could buy that IF IT CLEANED WELL,:hulk: and this was after the Clay bar had made a big difference. These are among the worst I have used Just thought I would share my results to possibly save others some money. All were in shade the whole time (as per the instructions).
That was my only suggestion. :glum:
I still like Liquid glass, but it takes three coats and is a pain to work with.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was my only suggestion. :glum:
I still like Liquid glass, but it takes three coats and is a pain to work with.
Sorry if you took my Hulk as being aimed at your suggestion Duds.:smileyvault-newhere I was just mad that the "cleaner wax" did not easily clean the little bit that was left (to my eye) on the surface after the clay bar. Thanks again.:beerchug:

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Sorry if you took my Hulk as being aimed at your suggestion Duds.:smileyvault-newhere I was just mad that the "cleaner wax" did not easily clean the little bit that was left (to my eye) on the surface after the clay bar. Thanks again.:beerchug:
Nope, no offense taken. Just no idea what your problem is. Maybe, you got a bad batch from the product.

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Rain Dance was good stuff. I remember the rags for dusting off your car that smelled like rootbeer...those things worked great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts