DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't see this posted, I'm still new here so hopefully I'm not an idiot.

The front wheels on my intrepid are constantly covered in brake dust, been that way every since I got it. Is there something you can do to stop that? I've heard some people do things but it heats up the brakes a lot which can be bad. Is there anything simple or non-bad to do to keep those as clean as the back tires?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
The reason why you don't see much brake dust from the rears is because the braking is front biased (especially with these cars) so the front pads are "used" more than the rears. In fact you will replace your front pads two or even three times before you have to replace the rears even once.

You can get low dust pads, but the thing with low dust pads is that they don't always reduce the dust. Low dust pads are typically grey in color, which just happens to be less visible than the black dust associated with semi-met pads. The definition of "low-dust" will vary from manufacture to manufacture, as will the definiton of "ceramic".

Also, with low dust pads, you may gain the feature of low dust, but you will lose some feature some where such as life, noise, or performance. You will NEVER find a brake pad that is superior in life (little wear for pad and rotor), noise (makes none), low dust, and performance (stop on a dime).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i could easily find brake pads that are superior in life, have very low noise and dust and can stop on a dime. If I had the money for those kind of things, I would have bought me a viper.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It doesn't help keep them from getting dusty, but if you wax your wheels every now and then (with a cheap liquid wax) it makes it a LOT easier to get the dust off them, even if you just hose the wheels off real quick.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It was easier to just wax the rims once a month. Takes very little time and brake dust does not build up. If it rains out it naturally removes what build up could be there plus every few days I hose them down quickly. It really does help a lot.
STBEAR007

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
MeisterJVV said:
I think i could easily find brake pads that are superior in life, have very low noise and dust and can stop on a dime. If I had the money for those kind of things, I would have bought me a viper.
No. You won't. Trust me.

I'm not sure if you are trying to compare a Viper to a LH car, but you can't do that. You have to compare apples to apples. The Viper has a better overall braking system than a LH car. It's not just the pads.

Think about it. It's really common sense. If you want to stop quicker, you need a more aggressive pad. If you have a more aggressive pad, it will wear down the rotor quicker and the pad will wear quicker.

This is all in comparison to the same vehicle with the brake pad being the only variable.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Eagle Vision ssi said:
Well now didn't the first gen vipers have the rear brakes off of the eagle premier, and the lh rear brake are a variation of those same brake, does that account for some of that braking.
Damn you for getting me curious. Now tomorrow at work I will have to look at the brake design to see if they look remotely similar.

:crazy:

:D :D :D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Brake dust is a problem i have too, but i agree with STBEAR007, for my rims i just polish them a few times a month and when it builds up a lil i just take a smooth cloth and wipe it off and nice and shiny again. It takes work but you gotta realize nothing comes without work.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
dabirdz96 said:
dont slam me on this, but dont they make covers that help keep brake dust down?
Yes they do have covers to keep the brake dust off the rims.
The only drawback is you might sacrifice some brake cooling. Should not be a problem for a commuter but for any type of performance driving don't give up any brake cooling.

I switched to low dust pads. RAybestos quiet stops. There was less dust and a lighter colour but they still get dusty. From a black dust to mud colour.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Eagle Vision ssi said:
Well now didn't the first gen vipers have the rear brakes off of the eagle premier, and the lh rear brake are a variation of those same brake, does that account for some of that braking.
If I spent 70K on a car that has brakes off a sub 20K car I would want my money back... but with Dodge this wouldn't surprise me at all.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
FunkRider said:
Hmm... how do you like those pads? I've got a set in the garage waiting to go on.
Funkrider, Those pads still mess up the front rims but there is definately less dust compared to what was on the car before I bought it.
Performance. Never measured distance but I'll tell you the unknown pads that were on it when I bought it used were garbage. Easily overheats the rotors. After 2 or more stops from high speed the rotors were hot enough to shake the car while braking. They would not activate the ABS on dry pavement.

The Raybestos Quiet Stops with new Chrysler rotors. Easily activate the ABS on dry pavement. After 10 hard stops from high speed no signs of hot rotors.

I've got over 40,000kms on the Quiet Stops and I'm due for brakes soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts