DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. is it dot 3 brake fluid for our second gens... My back pads are shot but I have to replace rotors and pads and with no money I m goin gto add a bit more fluid until then.. a month or so.. I cant find my manual

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
You can use DOT 3 or DOT 4...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Anyone know why they don't give the OK to DOT 5, which is silicone? I used it in a car years ago, and it is great stuff--doesn't collect moisture and rust & pit calipers and cylinders.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I don't think you can mix DOT 3/4 with DOT 5. You need to flush the entire system and replace the hoses. DOT 4 just has a higher boiling point that DOT 3. The first time I flushed my system I converted to DOT 4 about 4 years ago and have used it since. It was about the same price and with the autoX'ing I do figured it was worth it...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You could be right about mixing. I think when I used the dot 5 before, I flushed out all the old stuff. I like the silicone fluid because it doesn't absorb water, which destroys cylinder bores and causes things to leak or sieze. Also, dot 3 & 4 can become dangerous if they aren't replaced occasionally, since absorbed water can cause a lower boiling point for the fluid, something you don't need coming down Pike's Peak.
But I'm reluctant to use dot 5 now without some kind of assurance it's OK in these cars.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Just did a quick search and it does appear that DOT 5 is NOT COMPATIBLE with DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. It's said you should replace all hoses and seals and thoroughly flush the system before making the switch to DOT 5. There were also some very negative comments made about DOT 5. Since it doesn't absorb water, any moisture in the system will settle to the lowest point causing excessive corrosion there. It's also prone to creating small bubbles when poured making bleeding very tough and usually resulting in a softer pedal feel.

I think you're safe using DOT 5 as long as you flush the entire system and replace all the seals and hoses (because they have absorbed fluid)...

·
Registered
462 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
Just did a quick search and it does appear that DOT 5 is NOT COMPATIBLE with DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids. It's said you should replace all hoses and seals and thoroughly flush the system before making the switch to DOT 5. There were also some very negative comments made about DOT 5. Since it doesn't absorb water, any moisture in the system will settle to the lowest point causing excessive corrosion there. It's also prone to creating small bubbles when poured making bleeding very tough and usually resulting in a softer pedal feel.

I think you're safe using DOT 5 as long as you flush the entire system and replace all the seals and hoses (because they have absorbed fluid)...
When you mix DOT 5 with DOT 3 or DOT 4 it makes a gel. Replacing all of the seals and hoses is not a cheap way to go. anything that has a rubber seal, oring, line or anything else that is rubber has to be replaced.
1. New master cylinder
2. New ABS unit if the vehicle has ABS
3. All new rubber hoses.
4. If you can rebuild a caliper then rebuild them, if not replace them.
5. If you have rear drums then replace the wheel cylinders.
That is all that has to be replaced, then all you have to do is flush the system before you install the new parts.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
From that search I did find that DOT4 is less likely to absorb water than DOT3 and it's fully compatible. So if moisture is a concern you may want to go for DOT4. Last time I bought it at Walmart for essentially the same price as DOT3...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Changing hoses is overkill for a flush.
We switched our 1965 Belvedere from Dot 3 to Dot 5.
I just bleed the system until I saw 100% dot5, plus a few more pumps.
This was for the paint friendly reasons dot 5 possesses. All my other cars get dot 3.

Since Dot5 doesn't collect moisture it must be bleed often. I do ours every 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Dot 3 absorbs moisture. Just like you engine oil absorbs dirt. Then you drain it.

Since the dot5 doesn't absorb it any moisture in there will collect where ever it wants.
Puddling in high or low spots (can't remember which).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts