DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not decide whether to put this in the B/S/T or Performance/Mod area. So I decided to post here to get the maximum exposure and hopefully an answer.

I was doing some modifications to my ride and somehow I think I broke my Brake Lamp Switch located near the brake pedal. I pull it out of the connector to have some more room but now it does not snap back into place as it should. My brakes lights stayed on and I had to do some creative engineering to get it back into place and to have my brakes light go out. But now I my ABS light is on. I do not get any codes just the ABS light in the cluster on. I think I may need to replace the part of if someone can tell me how to properly reinstall it....LOL

It just seems that the plunger is not extending as far as it should. I had to place an object between the plunger and the metal to get it to turn the brake lights off and on. I then went and tested the brakes driving slow at first (to ensure it would still stop - LOL) then got on it on the way to work this morning and I am not having any problems braking and the lights are working. Just that ABS light is driving me crazy.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,702 Posts
I ran into this when I replaced my brake booster. When I was installing the new booster, the booster rod pushed the brake pedal against the switch and screwed up the adjustment. My brake lights were stuck on and the ABS was pissed off. You can pull the switch plunger all the way out, with the switch out of the bracket, then reinstall the switch into the bracket, (It pops in and out of the bracket after turning the switch itself 1/4 turn), and push the brake pedal in to adjust the plunger on the switch, once its installed back into the bracket. Once this happens, re-set the ABS, either with a scanner or disconnect the battery, and it should be good to go. If this doesnt work, either the switch is broken, or there is some other problem with the ABS. Easier done than explained....

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,702 Posts
I would guess $30 ish, cant be much more than that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think these may be them.
NAPA
Product Name, Item #, Price
Stoplight Switch, MPE SL796SB, $9.29

Dodge Parts
Item Number, MSRP, Price
4671336, $24.00, $19.20
Electrical - Chassis electrical - Switches - Stoplamp switch
STOPLAMP SWITCH, All Models 1998 - 2004