DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 Intrepid

Went to NAPA and bought 4 of their cheapest rotors and cheapest organic pads. Car stops fine and brakes were quiet for the first 300 miles.

Now, when I'm going very slow and coming to a complete stop I get a groaning type noise from the pads on the rotor...??

Money is tight....if they'll take them back should I upgrade? Is this an inherent problem with cheap parts? Is there a fix?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
It tends to show itself more in the cheap products, but high end products can have noise too. I'm using Hawk HPS pads which are considered a high performance pad (they do perform well) and are on the expensive side (well, they ain't cheap). I get the same kind of noise under the same circumstances you do. This is the first pad that I've experienced this with.

There is a fix that you may want to try, if you haven't already. Did you grease things up good? Did you put grease on any area where the pad touches the caliper (not the friction side of course)? Did you put grease on the hub where the hub surface and rotor surface meet? Did you clean off all the rust from the hub, the caliper, and the steering knuckle (where the pads sit)?

Any good silicone grease or moly lube will work, but the best stuff (we've done some testing) is the Bendix Ceramlub.

Although I have done all that using the Ceramlub and I still get noise with these Hawk HPS pads. I guess the reviews were correct...these are noisey pads.

I would certainly try the possible fix first as it is the cheapest (only a few bucks for the grease, or free if you already have it :) ).

EDIT: Actually, do those pads you bought have a shim on them? If not, than use Permatex Disc Brake Quiet on the back of the pads instead of the grease. Still use grease in the other locations. Of course if they do have shims, than you should never use the Permatex Disc Brake Quiet.

Disc Brake Quiet --> http://www.permatex.com/products/au...nce_repair/auto_Permatex_Disc_Brake_Quiet.htm
Ceramlub --> http://www.bendixbrakes.com/downloads/102005/049-48589_ceramlub_ss.pdf

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.