DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a recommendation on what particular brand of brake pads I should use?

I am looking for ones that will last longer than the OEM pads and provide a better stopping distance (for when some idiot ahead of me realizes he has to stop or slow down). I don't wanna break the bank buying them either.

I know Warlord works for Bendix, and I'm sure he would recommend them ;) Is he correct or should I look into something else?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by 00ChryslerIntrepid:

I know Warlord works for Bendix, and I'm sure he would recommend them ;) Is he correct or should I look into something else?
I would have a first hand account for you, but I just haven't gotten off my ass yet. I need to replace my front brakes here shortly and I was going to get some Bendix pads and rotors. I really need to do that. :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Though, it would be good to change them before the pads are gone. I had this happen on my fronts and you know their shot when your pedal goes to the floor with no slowing down of the car.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ATF, I luckily never had that happen.. even on my 95 Intrepid. I wore those down to almost paper thickness, but it always stopped when I wanted it to. I guess I was fortunate... and lucky. :)

But yeah, I should replace them before they are totally useless.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Carbon metallic pads are the way to go. They have a firm feel, last VERY long, and won't cause excessive rotor wear. They don't fade either. I believe that Performance Friction makes pads for the Intrepid. They can be had at Auto Zone. Check out www.performancefriction.com.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Since we have another brake pad thread, can anyone tell me the name brand and price of any ceramic type pads (the ones that don't leave brake dust on your rims)?? And preferrably ones that I can get at or order at an auto parts store. I don't have a credit card so I can't order online. ~Thanks

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: pimped3point3 ]

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave. :)

How pricey are they? At the time I type this, AutoZone's site is down (for some reason) and the site you posted doesn't have any prices on it. Thanks again. :)

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: 00ChryslerIntrepid ]

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by ATFCharger:
Though, it would be good to change them before the pads are gone. I had this happen on my fronts and you know their shot when your pedal goes to the floor with no slowing down of the car.
I still have a "respectable" amount of friction material left on the pads so it's not yet an emergency. But I really need to get off my ass and get them replaced before it does become an emergency. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know warlord it does seem steep but just not having to clean off brake dust is almost enough to buy them just for that reason. I guess the damn things are good or they wouldn't be on back order. When mine are gone I'm going to buy the RED and see if they live up to all they claim!!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the brake dust is really not a concern of mine since I don't see much if any brake dust now.

That may change when I get around to buying new rims and tires ;)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by redblurr:
I guess the damn things are good or they wouldn't be on back order. When mine are gone I'm going to buy the RED and see if they live up to all they claim!!
They could be on backorder because they aren't currently making them for some reason (plate supplier issues or something). :D

I think the red pads would look good with the red car also. :D

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: Warlord187 ]

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had all 4 pads changed to Bendix, the sequeal, turned black & blue in no time. I had both of the fronts replaced already, still squeal, chatter, chirp, etc. Dunno what the part number is but I wouldn't recomend "average" brake pads for treps since are brakes are underpowered already to begin with.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by BTC909:
I had all 4 pads changed to Bendix, the sequeal, turned black & blue in no time. I had both of the fronts replaced already, still squeal, chatter, chirp, etc. Dunno what the part number is but I wouldn't recomend "average" brake pads for treps since are brakes are underpowered already to begin with.
What brand of Bendix did you get? We have a premium, mid-grade, and a private brand. The "average" would be the mid-grade. The premium (or Bendix blue box) would be the best.

For the record, it has been found that the majority of the reasons for squeal and such has been shitty installations. I obviously couldn't tell you if that is the reason why you are experiencing those issues, but it is something to look at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts