DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help coming from 2G guys. I am ready to swap my front brake for 300M special brake (297mm rotor.) I have one question and is about the brake retractor clip.
How do we install this clip?
I tried many time to install this clip but I think that I did not install them correctly. We don't have this clip on 1G brake. If someboby can show me a pic or give me instruction how-to install them I will appreciate.
Here are the pics I found in my service manual:

P.S. I know it is a stupid question about a little clip but I need help to be sure I install it correctly.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took different service manual and this is not all service manual that are talking about this clip. If I don't have this clip in the performance package, it will depend of what kind of pads we use. I don't think is about the caliper since they have only one model for all package

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I don't recall seeing anything like that clip when I've had my brakes apart. I've changed pads once and rotors twice. I don't see it in any of the pics I took of the process either. Therefore, I'm thinking Warlord must be right. I don't think they're used on all applications... :confused:

·
Registered
475 Posts
it was kinda hard for me to keep them in place while trying to put the caliper back together when i changed my pads. I sprayed some of that brake quiet stuff on the back of the pads, and where that clip goes. It acts like an adhesive, and held those clips in place. I should have taken pics. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
/null/ said:
I had somethign close to that but it was straight... it fits right on the lil notch of the calipers
That's an anti rattle shim...

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
No retractor clips here??? All I got is a pair of shims like DB is talking about!

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
It goes on the slides under the things that stick out from the pads that sit on the slides. Chrysler still uses them for alot of cars. I have done many brake jobs where these clips are used and put back on. You have to get the little buldge that stick out between the pads but under them at the same time. It is a fairly difficult thing to do. They are required on all pre 2002 vehicles to keep down on brake noise. All post 2002 use a straigh aluminum thing that hooks on to the slide witch does basicly the same thing.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
99300mricva said:
Read this post. The part # for the pad spreader W clips is mentioned.

http://p209.ezboard.com/f300menthusiastsclubfrm26.showMessage?topicID=119.topic
Great info on the M forum. I just need a pics to be sure but I will install it like the new clip model.

All post 2002 use a straigh aluminum thing that hooks on to the slide witch does basicly the same thing.
For the best result the can you said that the new model is better than the hold W clip? I will took the best clip to keep away from noise braking.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Greetings,
I recently upgraded my 98 ES Intrepid brakes to the 300M Special rotors\brakes. I had no clue what so ever on how to install the W-clips... they just don't make any sense. Therefore, i ddin't install them and the brakes work fine. The stopping power improved SOOOOOO much. Check my Photos!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
392 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
I don't recall seeing anything like that clip when I've had my brakes apart. I've changed pads once and rotors twice. I don't see it in any of the pics I took of the process either. Therefore, I'm thinking Warlord must be right. I don't think they're used on all applications... :confused:
I was painting my calipers last week and my ES has those clips there. They're the original pads

Click Here For Caliper Clip Pics

·
Registered
399 Posts
The W clips are ment to push the pads apart after brakes have been applied. The bend in as pads wear therefore needing replaceing at each brake job. They are there to stop noise. The straight clips ARE better then the W clips.

·
Premium Member
17,732 Posts
I can't get this link to open and am beating my head against the wall over these "W" clips.....HELP!!!!!!
They are in aftermarket:
ACDelco 18K2284
Raybestos H5471

Many aftermarket brake pads come with the clips.

Chrysler P/N 04779055 (when searching for parts by the Chrysler number, try with and without the leading zero - IOW 04779055 and 4779055. Some databases recognize one and not the other. Always search it both ways - even when providing it to Chrysler dealer parts departments - if they look up one snd not the other, they'll end up telling you the part number is not recognized 50% of the time.

If you have any questions about the W clips or the straight bar clips, ask away.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts