·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bad is it to do a brake stand??

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
just looking to get smoke off those tires huh? In the "old" days of RWD you could "powerbrake" or brakestand which was simply holding the brake and the gas at the same time until tons of smoke poured off your tires. On the 'Treps you would have to turn off traction control, lock up the emergency brake and then try to spin the front tires. There are obviously a few things to consider as "bad" for your car. For starters the tires are expensive as heck, second of all I have tried this with a rental SE 'trep, a 300M and very briefly with my 3.2 ES, bottom line, it's hard to break those tires loose, therefore there is a lot of strain on your drivetrain as you try franticly to get the tires to spin. The plus side however is some great [photos or videos if you succeed.

My recommendation, since I am sure you will want to do it anyways is to get your front tires in a nice puddle of water or even better bleach to help them spin like mad and have a friend ready to snap pictures.

Most important thing to remember DONT GET CAUGHT and SHARE!!!!! we need pictures!!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No all I mean from a brake stand, is you hold down the brake and give it some gas. not to get the car movin, but to have it reved up then you let go of the brake. Does this put alot of strain on the drive train? enough to do some damage?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
it is extremely hard on the car.. but not really any different than flooring the car in the first place. thing of how much stress is built up from 0-35 mph when you floor it. BUT.. brake stands build up alot of heat. just... be careful. don't do it often

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm, thats what I thought, but its prob better for your car then reving in N then throwing it into DRIVE..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rev it in N, throw it in Drive, buy a new tranny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts