DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as I need new brakes, and I'll be looking for new tires soon after, what would be the best products to completely replace everything?

I already know about the hawk HPS pads (Probably would stick w/those, I don't need autocross pads lol)

What else would I need to finish out my entire braking system?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
pads (1 set per axle)
rotors (2 per axle)

Get some premium pads and rotors from well known brand names in the brake business and you should be fine. Look for Bendix, Raybestos, Wagner, or Performance Friction.

If you still have the stock calipers, I would look into replacing those as well.

That is the hardware that you would need. The software would be things such as brake fluid, lubrication grease, etc.

Do you plan on doing this yourself, or taking it to a shop? If a shop, than you really don't need any software. You replacing fronts and rears? Do you want the good stuff, or just something to get you by?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fronts and rears... I'd like pretty good stuff, but also stuff that will last.

I was reading about the HP+ and saw that they mentioned increased wear due to the extreme nature of the compound. I'd like extra performance, but not at the cost of wearing things out at an alarming rate.

And it's possible that I could get a friend to help me... he likes this kind of thing and it would really help me learn, but I might also just take it to the shop. In the event that I would do it myself (w/a friend) does the type/brand of brake fluid matter?

And I heard that Bendix parts are [email protected][email protected]
:D

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Phrozt said:
And I heard that Bendix parts are [email protected][email protected]
:D
You must die!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Brake fluid is pretty much just brake fluid. You have to meet certain guidlines to be DOT3 or DOT4, etc. Just make sure it's either DOT3 or DOT4.

If you want a brake pad that is a nice combination of performance and life, look at one of the following.

-Bendix Titaniumetallic II (just Bendix for the rears)
-Wagner Thermoquiet
-Performance Friction
-Raybestos PG Plus

·
Registered
467 Posts
my reccommendation:

Hawk HPS+ pads, iRotors cross drilled...this is what I run on the street, stops well, little noise, the cross drilled prevents these car's warping problems to a certain degree.

when I go to the track, I run HP+'s with iRotors cross drilled and slotted...much more aggressive, more noise, less wear. I would not reccommend slotted rotors for a street driven car, they really eat pads.

[if you're going to run a different set of pads track and street, remember that you will also need two sets of rotors...and index the hub and rotor and mark the pads so they go back the same exact spot each time...each hub has its own specific runout, so if you don't put the pads/rotors back exactly like they were, you'll get vibrations pretty easily]

I'm fooling around with the idea of a big brake kit, but that's awhile in coming.

·
Registered
467 Posts
^^ depends on how you drive, too.

on the HPS's, I'm real easy on em. At the rate I'm going, they'll last me well over 60,000. On the track set...well...let's just say road course brakes never last long :)

Reactions: Phrozt

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm usually fairly good at braking like an old lady on the street. I get up and go quickly, but I'll generally start breaking about half a block before the light/sign. I really don't like to slam on my breaks, and avoid it whenever possible. I do notice, however, from *anyone* who has driven my car, that they mention the brakes are extremely light and that they have to brake a lot harder to get it to stop than they are used to.

In light of that and the fact that replacing brakes is a project that must happen in the very near future, I made this thread to make sure I get everything I need! :)

Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
715 Posts
brakes and rotors are not hard to do. save yourself the outrageous parts/labor cost at the shop and do it yourself. get yourself a "do-it-yourself" manual and it will walk you thru it. i think you will feel better after completing this yourself and you will learn a little about your car. good luck....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts