DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Last week I was out of town w/ my dad in the Suburban (that is another story)
and my mom said that the 'trep's brakes felt as if they "went to the floor, and back up before actually doing anything." The car had the brake lines replaced about 2 years ago. Should I bleed the system, or could my vacuum be going haywire, considering the Cruise Control is shot now? (my brother also claims the car was shuddering to go anywhere, but he hates the car to the point I don't believe him).

Please help, my 3.5L ES may go to the scrap yard if we cannot fix this!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you still have fluid in the master my first guess would be that the master is shot.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reservoir has been @ max since 2009-- I don't usually let it get too low, I'll just empty it out and purge the system when the pads need changed. I do need pictures of what you are talking about in order to better understand what needs to be checked.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The brake master cylinder is connected to the brake fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have read the owner's manual, and I would read the service manual, if it wasn't 46.??MB!!

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
things from a bad wheel bearing , to a busted line can cause a low pedal,, so many things,, loose nut behind the wheel may do it too

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello all. Last week I was out of town w/ my dad in the Suburban (that is another story)
and my mom said that the 'trep's brakes felt as if they "went to the floor, and back up before actually doing anything." The car had the brake lines replaced about 2 years ago. Should I bleed the system, or could my vacuum be going haywire, considering the Cruise Control is shot now? (my brother also claims the car was shuddering to go anywhere, but he hates the car to the point I don't believe him).
My brother said that once he got to the movie theater, that she felt as though all 4 wheels were struggling just to stay on.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
shuddering to go anywhere?? like the brakes are locked up?? contamated fluid??

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
in cases like this,, im gonna say , in this case its gonna be best to let a shop look at it,,

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
sure it was not a "X" rated movie?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
things from a bad wheel bearing , to a busted line can cause a low pedal,, so many things,, loose nut behind the wheel may do it too
Busted line is not really high on my"check list" because the brake lines were just recently replaced. Will check both anyway.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
There are obviously multiple issues. I stand by my original statement on the brakes though. You need to check check things out or have someone do it for you. Shuddering could be several things including cv joints.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts