DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know about rebuilt motors which is just the bad stuff being replaced, but could a mechanic actually build a brand new motor?? If thats possible how much do you think that would cost and what kind of engine could be dropped into a 94 trep? I believe mines called a topshift (shifter's by the steering wheel) just curious cause if I do alot of major mods to the body of my car I'm sure as hell going to wanna keep it for a while!

Spyder

·
Registered
502 Posts
whoa..that was kinda confusing..

something about motors to where your shifter is to body mods....

anyway, as far as building a brand new 3.3 or 3.5, unless you've got castings for the block/heads/etc, a brand-new motor isn't gonna happen. The closest you could probably come would be to to get an engine from ATK-Engines.com and do head work/cylinder honing, etc yourself. Then you gotta get different parts to accept anymore horsepower you throw at it, etc. As for a cost, well, figuring that ATK sells motors at about $3g's plus core...well there ya go.

As for different engines, if you rerouted your exaust, measured up the transmission hump, and made different motor mounts and a fair amount of engine bay fabrication, you could maybe stuff a Mopar small block into the car. Then you gotta get all the stuff for a rearwheel drive car (rear-end, gears, axles, driveshaft, etc).

But that's only if you want V8 power. If you want some other rinky-dink 4 or 6-banger that's FWD, i'd say buy the car that already has it.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
you could probably fit a small block mopar v8 in there and keep it fwd.... might have to be creative with the fans/radiator.... the small blocks don't put out too much more HP.. but quite a bit more torque......
I would say just stick with the 3.3, and rebuild it ground up. Get a crank/pistons/cam/connecting rods from a 3.8L (minivan engine), bore out the cylenders, take a cut off the heads, do a valve job, and stick 'er back in. might need a minor adjustment on the computer (but not much, I don't think.. because my parents 3.3L minivan's computer spec says it is the same one, same program, it just adjusts dynamically... i could be wrong tho). you would have essentialy a new engine (all the moving parts are 'new' and all the seals/rings/valves are new also)
Its alot of work, but it definately would pay off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol. I was talking like bringing it to a shop, I know NOTHING about engines, heck I don't even know how to change my oil... some cam heads and yada yada is confusing, prolly as confusing as building a computer to some people.....

Spyder

P.S. thnx for the info, I think I'll just start saving and pick up an R/T then (sence there still making them) I could slowly buy each piece I needed, then when I have to build new I have all the parts :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Anyone know if you can put a 300M 3.5L in a 1st gen intrepid? and could u get a brand-new one from Chrysler? I'm pretty sure I can get one pulled from a wreck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts