DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

95 Eagle Vision 3.3L

I was replacing the Valve Cover and Upper Intake gaskets and I forgot to replace a bolt after I reinstalled everything. Well, the bolt came from the back of the engine (towards the rear of the car). It holds the fuel lines in place and creates a seal between one of the coolant hoses and the engine. The thing is, I tried installing it afterwards but it was going in too hard. When it was almost completely in, the bolt snapped and i think part of it is stuck in the egine :S. So now my car leaks coolant because the hose is only attached by one bolt from the other side.

How do I fix this? Would a shop fix this for cheap or are they going to tell me to replace the entire head? Would sealant fix this in any way?

BTW, the bolt is in a hard to reach area :(.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, you misunderstood the situation.

The bolt use to look like this:

||====}ENGINE{====}

Now, it looks like this:

}ENGINE{===}

The head of the bolt broke off :S. Whatever is still there is stuck inside the engine head.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If you could get to it, you would drill a hole in the broken off portion, and use an 'easy-out'... sorta like a left- hand threaded hard carbon steel tap that locks into the hole as you turn it counter-clockwise and the broken part unscrews.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Those grabbers aren't just for rounded bolt heads.

Just use a smaller sized grabber that will fit the bolt shaft.

If the shaft is too short, they you will have to drill it out and use an 'easy-out' tool.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
he can get to it if he takes the upper and lower manifolds off. I agree an easy out will be your best bet.

i know exactly what your talking about it has a pipe comming out the middle and then it t's off to the cooling line.

We had a problem with mine when we did the engine swap. Aparrently it warped and i didn't notice. When we started the car it was nothing but a steady down pour behind the engine. Took about 2 hours to get it right and installed correctly. Started it up and no leaks. Engines been fine since then.

Also any 3.3 owners if at anytime you can take your valve covers off check the rocker arm petastle. The 1inch ROD that the rocker arms slip on to. They have a rare tendancy to crack.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man...i was hoping you wouldn't say that. It's so much work to remove the lower intake. Besides, that'll probably bust my new gasket that i put in there :eek5: . Atleast now I know how to take everything off. But first, I'm gonna see if I can pull this off without taking out the lower intake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts