DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your opinions on Bronco's or other suv's?? I was thinking about getting a Bronco now b/c they are beast and you can get a nice one for about 5G, which is pretty cheap. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
my mom has one and i drive it all the time. They are prone to problems as a lot of cars are but overall they ride smooth and just seem to own the road. Great traction in the snow in four wheel drive and have enough power to tow a lot of weight. For 5G's yeah id say they are worth it, but you'll prolly drop another 5G's a year in gas money too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I knew that the gas mileage is bad... That would suck...

·
Registered
562 Posts
get a blazer K5! :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Go with the late 60's style when they almost looked decent.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Sk8-4ever said:
get a blazer K5! :D
Yes! The 6.5 diesel is one of my favorite SUV's of all time. If you want a cool and rare yet cheap SUV, see if you can find yourself an older Mercedes-Benz G-wagen. They last forever but are somewhat hard to find.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Avoid

I have 10+ years unfortunatley with Ford trucks specifically Broncos. I have owned too many to mention in all of their years. If you are looking for a vehicle with little used car maintenence than I would suggest that you stay away from broncos. Most of them come with the 302 V8. While this motor is a relatively good one it sucks a god awfule amount of fuel. You will get about 12 to 14 mpg on the highway. As for the rear main oil seal... well, let's just say that ALL Ford trucks with this engine leak where the transmission bellhousing meets the back of the engine. Replacing this seal is about $400 +/-. Go to any transmission shop and ask them what is the most common transmission rebuild and they will laugh and tell you the A40D puts bread on the table along with the electronic version. You can babie these transmissions and they will still fail around 80,000 to 100,000 miles. A rebuild is around $1,800. They are also prone to rust right behind the lower doors as well as the rear fender wells. The front suspension is a Twin Traction Beam setup whick will eat up the inside of your tires. You have to rotate the tires religiously every 3,000. They are hard to keep in alignment. This setup is prone to vibrations on the highway around 50 to 70 Mph. This is one reason Ford did away with this setup. Most likely it will pull some to the right always.
There are some that have been fortunate and have gotten an excellent truck with no problems but the majority of owners don't go without some major headaches.
I love the trucks styling and this is why I have owned one in some form or another since I was 16 Years old. I am now 30.
Hope this helps. Have fun.:)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I had a 94 F-150 (which the Bronco is based off of) with the 5.8....loved it, never had a problem. It was a gas hog though, but a lot of fun on the dunes in MI.! :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bryan_M said:
screw the bronco get a bronco II :wink: 21 mpg
It's funny you say that b/c I had a bronco II before I got my intrepid. I had a 90 black/charcoal and I loved it. That is why I was asking about the full size. The only reason I don't have it anymore is b/c I totalled it driving drunk...(which I will never do again)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Avoid

Newtek007 said:
I have 10+ years unfortunatley with Ford trucks specifically Broncos. I have owned too many to mention in all of their years. If you are looking for a vehicle with little used car maintenence than I would suggest that you stay away from broncos. Most of them come with the 302 V8. While this motor is a relatively good one it sucks a god awfule amount of fuel. You will get about 12 to 14 mpg on the highway. As for the rear main oil seal... well, let's just say that ALL Ford trucks with this engine leak where the transmission bellhousing meets the back of the engine. Replacing this seal is about $400 +/-. Go to any transmission shop and ask them what is the most common transmission rebuild and they will laugh and tell you the A40D puts bread on the table along with the electronic version. You can babie these transmissions and they will still fail around 80,000 to 100,000 miles. A rebuild is around $1,800. They are also prone to rust right behind the lower doors as well as the rear fender wells. The front suspension is a Twin Traction Beam setup whick will eat up the inside of your tires. You have to rotate the tires religiously every 3,000. They are hard to keep in alignment. This setup is prone to vibrations on the highway around 50 to 70 Mph. This is one reason Ford did away with this setup. Most likely it will pull some to the right always.
There are some that have been fortunate and have gotten an excellent truck with no problems but the majority of owners don't go without some major headaches.
I love the trucks styling and this is why I have owned one in some form or another since I was 16 Years old. I am now 30.
Hope this helps. Have fun.:)
Thanks for all of the info, you seem like you have a lot of experience with ford bronco's.

·
Registered
724 Posts
blktrepid said:

It's funny you say that b/c I had a bronco II before I got my intrepid. I had a 90 black/charcoal and I loved it. That is why I was asking about the full size. The only reason I don't have it anymore is b/c I totalled it driving drunk...(which I will never do again)
I love mine! cheap as hell, i put some real tires on it (31x10.5) and she is actually quite capable, now if only i could afford arb lockers & a lift kit........

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bryan_M said:

I love mine! cheap as hell, i put some real tires on it (31x10.5) and she is actually quite capable, now if only i could afford arb lockers & a lift kit........
Yeah, I had those same exact size tires on mine, and I had a 3inch body lift... I loved it.. Do you have a lift?? I didn't know if you had to have one or not for those tires..

·
Registered
30 Posts
More

I guess what I am saying is that if you are mechanically inclined and do ALL of your work and are ready for regular maintenance, they are nice trucks. If you don't know how to change sparkplugs your better off getting something else. I currently own a '91 Ford Explorer 4x4 with 4" lift and 33x12.5 tires. Whole truck has been rebuilt mechanically. Really, any used 4x4 is going to be costly down the road.
Also, if you decide to buy a Bronco, get under the truck and look VERY closely at the frame rails. Their frames are riveted together so if it has been involved in an off-center collision the frame will possibly be diamoned ( bent up). This will cause your truck to pull to one side or the other. You can't adjust the caster settings on the trucks, at least not very easy!!! Once your caster is messed up your truck will wander all over the road.
I loved all of my Broncos but only because I could maintain and fix all of their problems.
Hope it helps once again.

·
Registered
724 Posts
blktrepid said:

Yeah, I had those same exact size tires on mine, and I had a 3inch body lift... I loved it.. Do you have a lift?? I didn't know if you had to have one or not for those tires..
no lift
they rub a little on extreme articulation other then that nope but i don't do enough wheeling to worry about it :)
someday i'd like to do a lift, axle swap, lockers, bigger tires, chop top, but yeah, intrepid comes first ;)

i need to get some new pictures with the big tires.... makes it look much nicer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts