DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
50,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone recommend a good Bug & Tar remover? Now that Spring/Summer are here in the South the bugs that are the size of small birds have decided to cross the road and met their demise on my front bumper. I remember using something years ago that almost seemed petroleum based and left a film unless the car was washed. So if anyone has some experience/advice...let me know. Also if you can let me know where you purchased the fabulous product that would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Turtle Wax makes a product that is called....you guessed it....."Bug & Tar Remover". anything you use to remove bugs is going to also remove wax. So give it a good wax job when your done. A good waxing should also make it easier to remove the bugs next time. Do you know what the last thing to go through a bug's mind is when it hits your windshield ?????

·
Woober Goobers!
50,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"I don't have the guts to do that again"? Literally. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
good guess, but the correct answer is "it's ass hole"

·
Woober Goobers!
50,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought Ass**le was for the guy trying to hi-jack my WTB thread for one MS wheel?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I'll check on the brand later if I still have some left but I bought this aerosol bug & tar remover at advance auto and it was awesome. It was citrus based and worked well on both bugs & tar, and I used it to remove the adhesive left behind when my hood badge fell off and it worked really well on that as well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Look for a "solvent" type product, I'm pretty sure meijers carries something called "Bug, Tar, Wax Remover" that stuff should work. Or if you want the "professional" stuff, buy a bottle of meguiars solvent, its what I use at the stealership (ours is a different brand but its the same ****) spray the solvent on, let it soak for a couple of minutes and then lightly brush the stuff off, or rinse it with some pressure from the hose.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well I dont know if it was very good for my paint or not, but there was no bug and tar remover that was working for me so I said eff it and used windex. Worked great!!! took every little bit off even the crusty week old bugs that were super juicy at first.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try the Windex route and see what happens. I have plenty of that. The only thing I'd worry about would be the ammonia in the Windex might take off the wax. But it's time to give it a few new coats on the bumper anyway. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Pretty much anything that removes bugs & tar, including the commercial stuff, will remove wax anyway so I would definitely try the windex idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts