DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright ... so i own a 2.7l sebring, and im lookin to build up the engine while in the process of turboing it....

i was just wondering if anyone has had the chance to do this yet, and if theres any parts or suggestions for the process.....

by the way, my last car was a 3.5l 2000 intrepid.....

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
LH_Chris said:
Arent sebring v6's 2.5s? This is an intrepid sight, not a sebring site.

Like the Stratus, the Sebring uses the same 2.7L engine the Intrepid does. It's just transverse mounted.

And who gives a crap what kind of car it is. This is as much a Mopar enthusiast site than it is a Intrepid site. Hell I've never even owned an Intrepid, but I'm still here ;)

Anyways, I don't know of many mods for the 2.7L engine, other than intakes, and the intrepid version of the FIPK, or JoeKD's intakes probably won't fit your Sebring. Most of the 2.7L guys here don't mod the 2.7L (or the 3.2/5 either for that matter)

I'd check out the stratus boards, you're likely to find better info there...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow.... so welcoming.... and it is a 2.7, but apparently i cant get much more than being unwelcomed , i was hoping, since you guys have dealt with the 2.7 for a few years longer that you might have accomplished something..... but apparently in 6 months i already know more.......

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3rd-Dimension said:
have a kit already?
ive bought most of the parts i need....

ive got the turbo, BOV, wastegate, fuel comp, new fuel pump , fpr, injectors....

just need some gauges now......

the only wierd part is that ther is no room to mount the turbo under the hood..... so it will have to be remote mounted..... ive already done all the necessary calculations for that

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Thoes cars you mention are all the same LH body platform. That's why they're included.
Same car, different trim,etc.
But hey, we help anybody--even ricers!
" so it will have to be remote mounted..."
How remote can you go on exhaust/turbo placement?

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I've seen the setups advertised that install the turbo itself way back in the exhaust near the tail of the vehicle. I would think the turbo lag would be a nightmare, but that's one way to have a turbo, I suppose...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In2Deep said:
I've seen the setups advertised that install the turbo itself way back in the exhaust near the tail of the vehicle. I would think the turbo lag would be a nightmare, but that's one way to have a turbo, I suppose...

turbo lag is less often seen in a remote system, there are many reasons for that.....
1. more dense air in the end of the pipe will cause a faster spool
2. an intercooler is not required to cool the charge, as the turbo is mounted underneath the car, thus it can cool in the pipe on the way to the front
3. it takes less than a 50th of a second
4. you compensate by using a bigger turbo

so overall it should spool by 26-2900 rpm.... right in the sweetspot....... if i do exceed 6 psi i will use water injection instead of a fmic, to avoid the lag of having to fill an intercooler.....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why is that??? ive heard that the 2.7l intrepids have some reliability issues.... there arent so many with the strats/sebrings, as long as a good synthetic is used and changed frequently....

the reason i posteds here was to see if anyone had experimented with any forged internals yet, as i am considering doing that before i exceed 6 psi....

after lots of calculataions ive esteblished that the 2.7l will take about 7 psi safely......

the biggest crutch is the returnless fuel system, which needs to be converted to a retur fuel system, ..... but ive got that all figured out.....

what other problems should i worry about?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
He there hellian - I am sure there are Strat/Sebring forums out there that would have at least one turbo'd 2.7L. I know I have seen a Strat or Avenger(somewhere).

Dunno if this helps, but the Prowler which has our 3.5HO engine(I know not your 2.7) has been supercharged to around 8 or 9 psi.

No one here has turbo'd a 2.7L to my knowledge. They have chosen 3.2 or 3.3 liters.
I have not seen a remote mount in person, but have visited the STS turbo site and it looks interesting. I have always wondered how the oil returns back to the pan. The turbos I deal with are designed to have the oil "free-fall" back down to the oil pan from the oil outlet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you can use an external oil pump on the return line to force the oil back into the pan.....

ther eis only one second gen sedan group.... and im the one heading up the projekt.... .

i had heard the rumor that there was a 2.7 turbo treppy, but it wasnt remote mounted

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
hellsspawn said:
why is that??? ive heard that the 2.7l intrepids have some reliability issues.... there arent so many with the strats/sebrings, as long as a good synthetic is used and changed frequently....

the reason i posteds here was to see if anyone had experimented with any forged internals yet, as i am considering doing that before i exceed 6 psi....

after lots of calculataions ive esteblished that the 2.7l will take about 7 psi safely......

the biggest crutch is the returnless fuel system, which needs to be converted to a retur fuel system, ..... but ive got that all figured out.....

what other problems should i worry about?
It's the exact same 2.7 with the exception of the block casting to allow tansverse mounting. So...the reliability issues are the same. Oil passages are too constricted, leading to poor circulation, high temps, bearing failures, etc. However, I also ran my first 2.7 motor to 142k miles with absolutely no problems until I abused it one too many times and spun a bearing. SO it seems to be a hit & miss thing. And, yes, Synthetic is a must for these motors, IMO.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts