DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be building a new box/wall this weekend but I want some opinions on it, The box I have now is 34Wide x 14Tall x 24.5Deep and the new one will be 37Wide x 14Tall x 26Deep - Hope it fits(fingers crossed) I have messed around with my curent box and it is loudest with the subs facing inside the car, I dont realy know how to make it an air tight seal off from the trunk though since the hole isnt squared off like the box , the top and bottom will be tight but the sides will need something done to them to seal it off.. Has anyone built a wall for there trep in here? got pics or demensions? Heres the box I am going to build:

·
Registered
72 Posts
so, which are you building? a box or a wall? and which holes are you talking about not being squared like the box?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
meben said:
so, which are you building? a box or a wall? and which holes are you talking about not being squared like the box?
Im building a box and the subs will be facing the inside of the car like a wall, the box is square but the hole/trunk opening isnt square so I will have to find a way to seal it off from the trunk. There is a better way to explin it im sure but im tired and cant think... :sleeping:

Edit: The top of the box will fit tightly up against the top of the trunk and the bottom of the box will fit tightly up against the bottom of the trunk and the sides of the box will fit pretty tightly to the sides of the trunk BUT the sides are bowed out a little bit SO it wont be air tight sealed off from the trunk... Hope that is a better explanation...

·
Registered
72 Posts
oh ok, i see what you're saying. you want the sealed area inside the box and a sealed area in front of the subs facing the rear seat... you can maybe cut a piece of wood or plexi to fit the bowed area and mount it on the sub box or something, or maybe you can get by with stuffing the bowed area with some type of cloth or material that you can pack pretty tightly or you can put a string through a piece of appropriatly sized styrofoam and then put it in place in front of the sub box, put the box into position, then pull the string taught and tie it to something....i dunno. i'd prob be able to come up with more inspired ideas if i could see what you were talking about...it's late, i'm tired

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
HEY, i have a BOX already made that is EXACTLY like that, but the ports are on the far sides of the front and the are rectangular ports. I hit 148 with RF p3 speakers and 2-P6001bd amps. I still have it if you want it. This one was built EXTREMELY well. $100 if you come get it... i paid 275 for it. It is 3/4 or 1" MDF. carpeted and routed to prevent port whistle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
if you want it loud...mod ur rear deck... build a box into ur rear deck so the subs fire Directly into the cabin. This way you wont have to drive around with ur seats down...to have da loadz systemz in da nieghboorhods.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
bdubs676 said:
if you want it loud...mod ur rear deck... build a box into ur rear deck so the subs fire Directly into the cabin. This way you wont have to drive around with ur seats down...to have da loadz systemz in da nieghboorhods.
Thats what im doing after the 3.5 conversion. Its EXPENSIVE! im putting 1 POWER series 12" speaker and having a box molded to the underside of the deck. So the speaker will be firing at the rear glass, like a hatchback. They usually are ALOT louder than cars with trunks... so i hope to get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
209 Posts
r0meo021 said:
Thats what im doing after the 3.5 conversion. Its EXPENSIVE! im putting 1 POWER series 12" speaker and having a box molded to the underside of the deck. So the speaker will be firing at the rear glass, like a hatchback. They usually are ALOT louder than cars with trunks... so i hope to get the best of both worlds.

you should..im kidna doing that. But for SQ purposes, Im gonna chop up my rear shelf and put 2 15" IDQ there running IB cut off at 60hz.

And for everyone in this section....Im taking detailed pic by pic and going to write up a massive tutorial for dodge interpid install. Plan to see how to make kick panels, wiring, deck installs, sound deadning, making door pods(enlcosure in your doors), fiberglassing doors to fit 9" mid bass drivers, and modifying your rear for an infinte baffle install. Prob wont be till for antoher month n half Im quite lazy while im in school.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
bdubs676 said:
you should..im kidna doing that. But for SQ purposes, Im gonna chop up my rear shelf and put 2 15" IDQ there running IB cut off at 60hz.

And for everyone in this section....Im taking detailed pic by pic and going to write up a massive tutorial for dodge interpid install. Plan to see how to make kick panels, wiring, deck installs, sound deadning, making door pods(enlcosure in your doors), fiberglassing doors to fit 9" mid bass drivers, and modifying your rear for an infinte baffle install. Prob wont be till for antoher month n half Im quite lazy while im in school.
um...sq purposes with a cutoff at 60hz, AND you're using 15's.... isnt that an oxymoron...lol... DONT forget to reinforce the rear deck if you plan on keeping your back window.

·
Registered
209 Posts
r0meo021 said:
um...sq purposes with a cutoff at 60hz, AND you're using 15's.... isnt that an oxymoron...lol... DONT forget to reinforce the rear deck if you plan on keeping your back window.
lol...how is cut off at 60hz bad for SQ ? your comps or mid bass driver should be able to drop down to 60 hz. and since iLL have ti 9ms in the doors......and 15s can sound better then 10s if you pick out the right onesm, so if you know what your getting not a oxymoron.

now weve officqally hijacked this thread too...sorry jimmy.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
bdubs676 said:
lol...how is cut off at 60hz bad for SQ ? your comps or mid bass driver should be able to drop down to 60 hz. and since iLL have ti 9ms in the doors......and 15s can sound better then 10s if you pick out the right onesm, so if you know what your getting not a oxymoron.

now weve officqally hijacked this thread too...sorry jimmy.
I think the issue is more with the balance of the sound... i think thats what you call it.... Those 15's will drown out EVERYTHING else. thats probably why manufacturers use 10's and 12's in demo/SQ cars. Im still waiting on Db to comment on this one. AND sorry about the HIJACK..lol, but you really should buy my box.

·
Registered
209 Posts
r0meo021 said:
I think the issue is more with the balance of the sound... i think thats what you call it.... Those 15's will drown out EVERYTHING else. thats probably why manufacturers use 10's and 12's in demo/SQ cars. Im still waiting on Db to comment on this one. AND sorry about the HIJACK..lol, but you really should buy my box.

why do so many SQ lovers look around for ID old 15" IDW, and run 15s IB??? I doubt that the 15s in the rear shelf will drown out a 3 way front stage. And i agree with about SQ is more about sound staging, imgaing etc... why Im not so sure about about doign the three way little worried aobut imaging. If im not happy with it goign to pick up a Seas REF 2-way and run it active...and heres a perfect example perhaps one of the best sounding cars ever. ANy one in SQ will know about this car..
http://www.milbert.com/earl/

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Just outta curiousity...why the ports?

I might be building a box simular to this...but Id be looking for quality over SPL. Would I be right in saying, that a sealed box would be better for quality...and if you wanted more lower harder hitting SPL kinda stuff, then you would add the ports?

Good looking plans! :)

--Gorm

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Also...how do you like those Alpines you got?

I am looking for a nice 10 that sounds good at 500 RMS. :)

--Gorm

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Gorm said:

I might be building a box simular to this...but Id be looking for quality over SPL. Would I be right in saying, that a sealed box would be better for quality...and if you wanted more lower harder hitting SPL kinda stuff, then you would add the ports?

--Gorm
I think you are correct.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Gorm said:

--Gorm
Keep it slead if looking for SQ. porting is like adding surface area to your sub woofer

and heres a good techincal explantion about vents/ports(not my wording)

"You can port/vent for the following options:

To gain efficiency (ported to near flat).
To gain output at a certain frequency.

If you port an enclosure there will be a certain frequency that the port will unload and the sub will flop like a fish on the ground at and below this frequeny(this can cause damage if a subsonic filter is not used). This is why you will loose low frequency extension. The frequency that this happens at is usually near a 1/2 octave below the peak frequency. Now with most speaker/enclosure combinations the higher the frequency you tune for the greater the peak you can create, easily +6db with most combinations. You can typicaly realize a 3 db gain near 50hz with a moderate port but you will loose 30hz and below in most setups"

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
bdubs676 said:
why do so many SQ lovers look around for ID old 15" IDW, and run 15s IB??? I doubt that the 15s in the rear shelf will drown out a 3 way front stage. And i agree with about SQ is more about sound staging, imgaing etc... why Im not so sure about about doign the three way little worried aobut imaging. If im not happy with it goign to pick up a Seas REF 2-way and run it active...and heres a perfect example perhaps one of the best sounding cars ever. ANy one in SQ will know about this car..
http://www.milbert.com/earl/
not that it matters, but his are 13's.

look at the bottom

·
Registered
209 Posts
r0meo021 said:
not that it matters, but his are 13's.

look at the bottom

he did his install twice...once with 15s and once with 13s...first was the 13s then he moved to 15s, look at the vary bottom second to last section of install pics. Either way this was prob one of the best soudning cars ever and cleaned up SQ awards left and right with 15s in it. so yea... In genreal 15s will not sound as tight and resposive as 10 and 12s but if the speakers is designed properly a 15 can be jsut a good as 10s and 12s. Very few Sq 15s out there now a days since the market is all about who can how the loudest shyt for the cheapest. The only two I can think of now a days in the market are IDQs and Arcs, with OV.2 behind them,

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Allright...you guys seem to know a lot. LOL

Tell me...whats a good 10" or 12" subwoofer that would run good with (2) woofers and sharing 1000 watts at 1 ohm (dual 4ohm VC).

I'm looking for quality over all. I was going to get some kickers...but while doing some research, it seems people just don't like them for quality...they say go to JL.

--Gorm

1 - 20 of 82 Posts