DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put some super xtreme white piaa's on the r/t but they don't make none for it. They say that the bulb is a straight bulb and they don't make it. They only have the L-shaped style. The only thing they have are the H-3 bulbs for the fog light. Has anybody upgraded there bulbs, or have any idea what can we do to upgrade the headlight bulb. :)

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I used the L shaped bulb and it still worked...just a little harder to install.

I used Sylvania, but wasn't impressed with them. So, I'm back to stock lights now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I posted this on the old forum, too. Be careful if you upgrade to higher wattage bulbs. You have to be sure your wire harness can handle the extra load. There have been a few fires attributed to overloading the headlight harness on Grand Prix' :eek: I'm not saying your cars will have the same problem, but I would keep an eye on it!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Miami R/T- sure wish I had the address for a lighting study that was done on headlighting. It said, and had a bunch of fancy "proof", that blue or very white light was not as good as the slightly yellowish light that our bulbs produce. One of the things they said is that true fog lamps are yellow because that is the best color for night and reduced vis times. Also if the white or slightly blue was better they would install them at the factory, they sure don't cost more.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I user Optiblue headlights and PIAA fog lights. 2KWK4U is right, the H3's are a little too much for the wiring to handle. I melted some plastic in the harness. But they are VERY bright.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
MadTxn, how many watts were your replacement bulbs for your foglights, and what are the stock ones? 55 watts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah they told that if you use a higher voltage in the fog lights you can burn the plastic. thats why they said that i just have to stick with the 55-watt bulb and not another. i'll try to check up on the wire harness and look around if it can start small fires, on our cars.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I remember that study on headlights. It was a pretty good article. There was a link posted on the old forum.

Hummm, think I'll go bug I98 on feedback, and see when he plans to "archive" the old site...

:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
The stock fog lights were 35W and I replaced them with 55W. Toasty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I purchased some bright white bulbs from Ebay. I have not had a problem with them. They are higher wattage than the original, so I try not to drive too much at night. I have driven for over three hours with them on and no problems. The difference between them and the original at night are incredible. It is so much brighter and clearer. I got them for $30 which included the low and high beams. The company is prostreetlighting.com. The lows are size 9006xs and the higher are 9005xs. Payment was with paypal and I got them in three days. Easy to install. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My opinion... I hate it when people go over the 55watt legal limit. You can't adjust your beam pattern to compensate for the brighter light, so even though you're seeing better, it shines in everyone elses eyes that much brighter too. It's not hard to tell when someone has the 85+ watt bulbs on their car.

At first I thought that article was just some guy whining about the new fad. But when I switched back to just the sylvania "cool blue" headlights, I noticed a huge difference. The darker blue coated ones are quite a bit dimmer. Halogens don't produce much blue light... mostly yellow, and when you have a blue coating, it blocks out most other colors except blue. Try shining a green bulb through a red lens... you won't see much if anything at all. Blue and yellow are exact opposites on the color spectrum. Yeah, it looks better, but performance sucks and I'd rather have headlights that shine rather than "look" cool... but other people like them and that's fine by me... I'm sure I have done things with my car that other people don't like :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was a little worried about having them shine in oncoming traffic, but I was able to lower the beam level. I have even gone to the length of having someone drive my car while I was in another car just to see how blinding it is. I believe that the level I chose is fine and not making other drivers blind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
gaewsky1

What is the point of installing higher wattage lights and then don't want to drive too much at night? Kind of defeats the purpose.Am I missing something?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I didn't mean that I prohibit myself from driving at night, I just don't have the need for it. I live in Cleveland and my fiance is in Columbus, so I usually travel at night (around 3 hrs). I actually prefer to drive at night and the bulbs work nicely. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with gaewksy1, i purchased a set of 4 xenon lights for the intrepid for 30 bucks and they do make a hugh difference.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I put the 100 watters in my fog lights (I know I am not a second gen-er) and haven't had any problems. Personally I hate when people drive with their fog lights on unless the weather is bad, so when I am driving, the fog lights are off. when it starts rainin, or being snowy or foggy, Fog lights come on and all is good. :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I want to hook it up with Xenon bulbs, I think they look sweet and would go well with my blue turn signal bulbs.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Does anybody know if they make a yellow fog light bulb to replace the OE bulb.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Ya know.. they make bug remover... you don't have to go through all the trouble to put bug lights on your car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts