DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

So I just bumped a curb and now I have vibration in the steering wheel - the vibration matches the tire rotation - what should I do? Do you think it is just tire balance, or should I get alignment? Car seems to drive straight - I got the whole set of tires from PepBoys a year or two ago. They are not a great place to get things looked at - I have a very good Fix-a-flat guy who can balance but for alignment I would likely go to Firestone or Sears (we still have one). I have replaced lower control arms in the past as well as really all suspension. I also just had Rack mounting fixed. ne of my tires gas no balance weight on it the other 3 do.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Could be bent wheel, broken belt in tire, busted steering part (bushing?, ball joint?, lug bolts or nuts?, attaching bolt?, knuckle?, other?). Someone will have to look at it to diagnose it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Could be bent wheel, broken belt in tire, busted steering part (bushing?, ball joint?, lug bolts or nuts?, attaching bolt?, knuckle?, other?). Someone will have to look at it to diagnose it.
I second this. It's really hard to tell what could cause it since there is a lot of things right near there that could be causing your issue.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
did you "bump" the curb, or "hit" the curb?
or scrape the curb maybe?
could be a moved or missing wheel weight.
could be a defect in the tire.
could be a bent spot in the rim.
a slight imperfection in the rim can be rotated to the back to be less noticeable.
weight can be balanced back.
and a tire imperfection can be a safety concern.
does the tire look out of shape?
waves or bulges where it was hit?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all - I went to my fix a flat place - and the guy said he didn't think it was the tire - he told me to take it to my mechanic . My mechanic is off on Mondays - but the craziest thing happened - I was driving on a cobblestone road and afterwards it was all better. My off street parking spaces are on big gravel - could a rock somehow cause the rhythmic vibration in my steering wheel - it matched the wheel rotation exactly - and was unaffected by braking or turning. It is now totally gone. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
Not sure sbout the disappearing rock scenario. Big enough to cause vibration, yet small enough to get embedded in a tread groove (assumed didn't cut and temporarily wedge into rubber) and then get dislodged and fly away? Perhaps.

Probably wouldn't hurt to have your mechanic put eyes on it. He may have an idea from your description, and even if not, he can look it over underneath.

Something like that spontaneously going away can just as suddenly come back (perhaps something marginal - play in a bushing (inner tie rod?), for example - that sometimes goes into vibration, other times not).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I will look under there tomorrow - shoot some video - I might even get my mechanic's opinion - since he is doing exhaust work on my Jeep and I have to pick that up from him.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks - so I shot this video - to me all looked good - except when I was reviewing footage I saw a big black gooey lump of asphalt on the inside of my tire - see screenshot with arrow - I went back out and removed this - the city is in the process of re-asphalting the road - one reason I bumped the curb. Keep in mind the car was now driving fine with that remaining chunk - perhaps it was larger before and somehow causing the issue? Not sure..

Automotive tire Font Rim Auto part Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wheel Tread
Automotive tire Font Rim Auto part Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wheel Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Woober Goobers!
52,010 Posts
Looking at the wheel pictures..... you've been getting cozy with curbs for awhile! All 4 have rash all the way around!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Ron

Thanks for your interest. Haha - very true - city life - if I don't touch the curd I honestly run the risk of getting hit and killed by busses or bikes - with my Jeep I even sometimes jump two wheels up onto the curb - drivers are really crazy here - even bike riders are on their phones while driving - in past cars - I have gone through lots of control arms...
Unrelated tidbit -nails in tires are pretty common too! Also the photo of the tire with the bottle cap added - is the passenger rear and has no balance weight added - perhaps I knocked it off.
Wheel Tire Bicycle Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Wheel Tire Bicycle Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Woober Goobers!
52,010 Posts
Those crazy New Yawkers!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi Ron

Thanks for your interest. Haha - very true - city life - if I don't touch the curd I honestly run the risk of getting hit and killed by busses or bikes - with my Jeep I even sometimes jump two wheels up onto the curb - drivers are really crazy here - even bike riders are on their phones while driving - in past cars - I have gone through lots of control arms...
Unrelated tidbit -nails in tires are pretty common too! Also the photo of the tire with the bottle cap added - is the passenger rear and has no balance weight added - perhaps I knocked it off. View attachment 42818 View attachment 42818
Damn that's pretty crazy! I would rather have curbed up wheels than be hit by a cyclist not paying attention.

·
Woober Goobers!
52,010 Posts
Broomstick!

·
Woober Goobers!
52,010 Posts
Through the bicycle spokes!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
18,489 Posts
I think you've found the problem. Sounds like a culture problem of contractors not giving a crap and letting people drive on fresh tar.

I'd remove it.

Reactions: JordanS
1 - 20 of 21 Posts