DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something strange happened to my 2000 Trep. Two weeks ago I washed the car and everything looked fine. Then I put some Armor All on all exterior plastic trim, as I've been doing for three years now.

Last Sunday, I washed the car again and was shocked to discover that the two vertical pieces of black plastic trim, on each side of the winshield, looked burned as is some powerfull chemical splashed there. It's like the black finish is coming of in large spots (at first it looked as if a liquid left drop marks, but it actually ate the plastic). It goes from the windshield side to the exterior of the molding and is worst on the left side (where the wipers throw whatever is on the windshield), so it really looks like something strong splashed on my winshield and burned those black moldings. However, the black pieces of plastic in the bottom and on the top of the windshield are O.K. :confused:

I wonder what could have done that. :eek:

I was thinking about using Mother's Back to Black to try to cover some of the damage. Do you think it's a good idea? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here are some pics. Don't get fooled by the water stains on the windshield. The black plastic trim is clean.

It's not that bad now, because I went to the dealer and someone there put some "scelant" on it. It was much worst before.

Do you have any other ideas on how to fix that?

·
Registered
111 Posts
That sounds kinda stinky. So you didn't use any other chemical in conjunction with it? I really don't know much about it, but that really is pretty wierd. I wonder, how old was the cleaning stuff you were using? I wouldn't think it would be related, but if by chance it was old, maybe there is something that would change after aging.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
DC knows about this problem . I saw a memo about this a while back , about soap causing the black trim to discolor .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts