DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I'm afraid my companion LH sedan is down for the count. :violin:
My brother rear ended a girl from youth group on their way home tonight. She tried to miss a raccoon with her Honda Civic and hit the brakes. My brother tried to miss her but caught the drivers rear of her car. Everyone was okay, the Intrepid performed well in the accident. The best part of it all was the Intrepid imprinted a dodge emblem on the back of the Civic!

As for now, I'm guessing that the Intrepid is going to be totalled out. The accident blew the airbags too. It also left a decent amount of damage to the rear of the Civic, but she was able to drive her car home.

More Pics

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
That sucks the big one...

*thinking what parts i need*

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
micholob said:
That sucks the big one...

*thinking what parts i need*
Yeah, I thought about that but I don't think I have the time nor effort to do that and dad really doesn't want it sitting around the house here. I'm gonna go check it out in the daylight and see how bad it actually is. I want to try to get the hood open to see what else got damaged.

I kinda want the engine, 150,000 mile 3.5L my 3.3 has 138,000 so it's not too many more miles than what my car has on it already. I too have been thinking of a list of parts that I want off of it too. We'll just have to wait for word from the insurance company to see what they determine.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Ouch! Glad everyone was okay. Cars can be replaced, not lives. If the airbags were blown, the Insurance co. will probabily total the car out, sadly.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
94_Concorde said:
I just wish the damn thing was floor shift, cause I'd be doing a column to floor shift conversion tomorrow!

Or you can buy a $200.00 purple parts car like I did :fun_06:

I'm sure you can snag a few parts off of the trep, seeing the before crash pictures of it, it seemed clean.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, I wish I would have gotten a pic of that. I've got good news though... the trep should return home in the morning. Dad and I are gonna try to track down parts to get her fixed back up. Atleast with the Trep, we know the past history of the car and we bought it when it was only a year old, it still had the new car smell! Now it just smells like blown airbags :(

Anyway, I posted new pics on my site, if anyone cares to take a look.

http://94concorde.dodgeintrepid.net/97%20Intrepid%20Wreck.htm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good to see those crush zones perform as they were designed! Removes LOTS of energy from a collision. Wonderful that now one was hurt.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Glad you're going to be rebuilding it. It looked soo nice in the before pictures. Replacing the pass. airbag isn't going to be too fun. Just bring out the duct tape :)

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Damn that sucks but glad to hear you are going to rebuild her. but not to scare you but these two pics worry me

I'm worried that the front structure it bent up pritty good. When you strip off the front sheet metal I would take it to a body shop and have it put on a frame machine to check it out.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what was worrying me too. I got the car back this afternoon and stripped the hood, passenger fender, and belts off and the rest of the body is unbent. Good thing is we have my 94 to take measurements from to help us get it lined back up. I was able to start the car today without accessory belts on it and noticed I heard a whine that wasn't there before the accident. I noticed that the accident pushed the passenger side fan motor back into the timing belt cover and also cracked the housing. Since that's a dry compartment it may be okay as long as the AC compressor doesn't make it worse. Anyway, I have more pics to post on my FTP site from above.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Thats good. But I would still get it on a frame machine just to be on the safe side Here Are pics of my 1987 Camaro when I wrecked it in to a Santa Fe (there fault) and I didn't use a frame machine and now none of the panels fit right. I just used a pine tree and a rope to strighten it out.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured I'd give an update on the car. I have been working on it for what seems like a long time now, I finally have most of the parts. I just got the timing cover put on the car and I went ahead and repalced the valve cover gaskets too. I'm getting ready to put the cam sprockets back on it today and I hope to get it all timed back up and running today or tomorrow it just depends on what the rear cam seals look like. I finally got the dash back together. I also happened to come across a dash with the mesage center from a 94 ES that I replaced the upper dash with since the passenger airbag cracked the old upper dash to pieces. Anyway, I've gotta run and get that car running again!

·
Banned
2,379 Posts
Wow that's one accident. LMAO about the Dodge imprint!! Nice one!! Good luck with the car and I'm glad everyone was okay. Reminds me of that insurance commercial with the squirrels in the road and the person swerves to miss them.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Engine pics posted on my di.net FTP site (click Fixin' up the trep in my sig). I didn't get any interior pics yet. I'll probabally get some tomorrow. The interior isn't the cleanest right now because I have parts strung out inside the car.

I've got a good portion of the timing done. I need to redo the belt because the passenger side cam sprocket moved about a tooth off. So, I get to redo that PITA tensioner.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Looks like your making good progress! That is a big project you have there.

Why did you have to remove the intake plenum? Did something else break, or were the valve covers leaking on you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts